Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Feild Dressing birds

Old 03-04-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feild Dressing birds

i just breast them out. i have done it other ways but when i started it was ezies to just breat them out
Old 03-04-2003, 06:24 PM

FIRST IF YOU ARE HUNTING QUAIL IN CA. PEEL ALL THE HIDE CUT WINGS AND LEG AT JOINTS. AFTER ALL FEATHERS ARE REMOVED CLEAN THE ENTRAILS OUT, THEN WASH OR ICE DOWN. THE PROBLEM WITH BREASTING IS YOU LOSE TO MUCH FLAVOR DURING COOKING. THIS WILL WORK FOR ALL UPLAND BIRDS. ALSO CHECK WITH YOUR FISH AND GAME AS TO EVIDENCE TO SEX DURING TRANSPORT.

RANDY WEISER RIVER KENNELS
Old 03-06-2003, 08:09 PM

i lay them on there back and get a good hold of the skin on the breast and tear a hole and spread it so it is a preaty big hole showing the bottom of the breast bone and stick ur fingers up under the breast bone and lift on it and it will expose all of the guts to pull out and then wait until you get home to finnish.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

I can remember the first time someone told me to stand on the wings and pull; I thought right what kind of mess are you tring to get me into. He kept on saying how esy it was and the more he talked the more sceptical I became so I said you do it. Well he was right
Old 04-02-2003, 09:35 AM

It seems quite that some would try to belittle someone or try to disgrace someone just to conform to their way only.

Fact #1 No one suggested that breasting a bird out is because of being lazy but of preference in taste and the significant difference it takes in cooking both consistenty under the same flame. If truth be known do you skin the bird, if not one could say your to lazy to boil water with parifyn then burn the pin feathers thats left and then clean up pots etc. used for removing feathers or it could also be for health reasons that by removing the skin one consumes less FAT.

Fact #2 Respecting your quarry making full use of it. I hate to inform anyone that try to disgrace me or anyone else that breast a bird out, that nothing goes to waist. Unless you are short sighted, if the remains are left possum, skunk etc.. then bones are ate for calcium by mice and of course lets not forget all the bugs (ants, maggots, larvae, beetles, etc). If thrown in with multch (compost pile) it makes rich soil. What you forget to realize is that it is a cycle and all natural resource has. I would think someone who thinks otherwise is more of an anti-hunter

Fact #3 Just by purchasing a hunting license all of us are contributing in some way in conservation. Those that do pursue an animal helps by reducing the number to a healthy level making it easier for the species to maintain a healthy balance with the niche or food source in the area.

Fact #4 If anyone wants to keep legs of the birds or the whole bird it makes no difference to me have at it. Why then does it make a difference to you that I keep the breast? Before you answer make sure you keep the whole bird because with your train of thought you should be keeping heart, liver, gizzard and possible kidneys or are you in your own words lazy and have no respect for your quarry? Do you skin or pluck the bird? Do you keep the neck for soup?

I will emphasize that the advice not leaving remains lay around especially by roads is good and suggest this makes sense. On the other hand if we did not hunt and keep numbers in line how many would be seen on the side of the road being struck by vehicles? Personally I wait to clean the birds tell at home or camp but again to each their own.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:41 PM

On fact #4 you hit the nail on the head use it all. Just got back from hunting Snows today and came across a pile of carcasses and many of them were not even touched for the meat. Looked like they stacked them up took pictures and left them to rot on the lake shore. Now in this state it is against the law and the lazy idiots that did it are guilty of wanton waste and littering. If I am ever so lucky as to see some slobs do this I will guarantee you that they will have their day in court. I would turn slobs like this in so fast they would not know what hit them till they had their tickets in hand. Your buying a license does not give you the right to waste and litter. If you are not ashamed of having people (slobs) like this in your midst then I am ashamed of you too.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:17 AM

drgildy

It is about field dressing not wanton waiste or littering. It is indeed illegal in most states and would hope all would agree with your statement and turn them in as well. I think it would be more approriate to have started a new thread on that subject rather than try to use it on what part or how to field dress birds.

I also made it quite clear I totally DISAGREE with your statement " It seems to me people nowdays are getting too lazy to properly clean a bird s they just save the breast and waste the rest." Nothing goes to waste it is a natural resource and on the laws you brought up taking of the breast for food satisfy' s or complies with wanton waste laws. I also made it quite clear that by calling names as you implied is not productive and may even be caught by a moderator.

I do agree with a portion of your statement which if taken out of text would read " Lets not give anti hunting crowd more fuel by leaving it for all to see in a ditch or parking lot." I do stand by the facts I posted 1 through 4 earliar.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:22 PM

HE If you read my last post you would understand that these geese I just mentioned were not for the most part touched other than to pile them up. In my state your statement would not stand up on the wanton waste either. Waste is waste regardless of what any one says. As I also said if people were to be a little hungry they would make use of all the bird. Yes that is using the back, ribs and necks, and giblets for soup. Buying a license does not mean just killing something unless it is a pest (ie vermin and varmints) a responsibility goes with that license.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:40 PM

Without getting involved in this heated debate, I would like to clarify one thing -- some states do consider it illegal to discard the legs. In fact, I think it is most states! Leaving the head on migratory birds for identification is mandatory in all states and a wing and/or leg on upland game is required, too.
Old 04-17-2003, 06:55 PM

Upland makes a good point as to the identification. We simply skin the birds. Starting at the breast, tear a hole in the skin and start to pull. The skin comes off pretty easy if you do it fresh. In Iowa and Minnesota, a head, wing, or leg is necessary for ID. We cut the head and wings with a ratchet pruner as you would use in a garden, great tool for this. We also cut off one foot at the knuclke. We then gut the birds and rinse the cavity. We keep the gizzards and hearts, don' t care for the livers, but one of my buddies gives them to his dog. (I think this is a bad idea, but thats another topic.) After getting home, I cut off the other leg at the knuckle. This is the slick part. Remember the wings are already gone. Make a slice down the back of the bird, right along the spine with a sharp knife, Doesn' t have to be deep, just to the bone Now put your two thumbs b/t the neck and breast and with your index finger pinch the neck and breast and pull. The breast is now in one hand and the back and thighs and legs in the other. I then slice down the back and seperate the thighs from the back. I then seperate the thighs from the legs at the knee. I bone out the thighs and leave the breasts on the bone. I put the back & legs in a stock pot with celery and seasoning and make pheasant rice soup with the stock. If you cool the legs, the meat seperates from the little pin bones easily. I package the thighs and breasts seperately and vacpack them. I usually clean the gizzards and fry them up that night as the treat. I know this seems like a lot, but I can clean, dress, and package 6 pheasants in about a half an hour. ' Corse, I grew up on a farm in Iowa and we raised A LOT OF CHICKEN

Quick Reply: Feild Dressing birds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.