Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's your dog?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's your dog?

Brittany Spaniel. Pheasant, Quail, Prarie Chicken, Grouse, Dove.....
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

MosesLakehunter
How's the weather there? Snowed in? On the west side, pheasant hunting is comming to a close and was thinking grouse hunting in the Hyak area - just after North Bend but its usually snowed in at this time. I don't know the eastern part of the state real well as I haven't hunted there much.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 AM

English Pointer (miller lines)

Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

its great to hear all favorite dogs,as we see,we all have our favorites.
no dog can do it all WELL.

only 1 dog is close to doing everything goodl.

its SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB.
he has hair for weather,it is not a burr picker upper,he can handle a fox or coyote.

he handles traps well with his feet.
he dives into water in nasty weather and swampy fields to return a grouse/pheasant/rabbit/duck shot in mud etc.
he hunts close.
he looks for you all time,not you for him.
he retrieves.
his hair is not problem in home.

here is what i like TO SEEin dog,ALL AROUND DOG.

not afraid of cold water /snow 2 ft deep/wind/rain/sun.
hunts CLOSE,no beeper needed to locate the dog.
flushes or points does not matter, i like FLUSH as its more exciting than point.
can take on a coyote/fox or other dog if attacked.
can handle traps well with their feet.
good nose.
good in home on HAIR.
strong feet.
lab in my opinion is the best you will get for all around dog.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM

Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Brittany. Nothing else needed.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Highpower

Brittany. Nothing else needed.
Totally agree with that! Love hunting with my Britt!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

not afraid of cold water /snow 2 ft deep/wind/rain/sun.
hunts CLOSE,no beeper needed to locate the dog.
flushes or points does not matter, i like FLUSH as its more exciting than point.
can take on a coyote/fox or other dog if attacked.
can handle traps well with their feet.
good nose.
good in home on HAIR.
strong feet.
lab in my opinion is the best you will get for all around dog.
I here you cut in and talk up the labs alot.. Hair is a problem with labs in a house at times. I had a great lab once and did she ever shed hair..She lived to be 17 years old and had to be put down. That was a sad day for us. She had quite a few trophy's for her work as well and lots of free dog food..But, for you to keep coming on thinking that just a lab can do all is simply not the case at all. I do not hunt waterfowl tho I have pulled my dog out of the water on more than one occasion. To see your lab even begin to keep up with a hard working setter would be amazing my friend. Only 2 feet of snow? come up to Maine and try it out in the winter. Your lab could do it, but with a hard time when you go out with snowshoes on my friend. At 65lbs. long leggs and very fast moving that just doesn't want to call it quitsI have to differ with you on what is and what is not the best dog. A good pointing dog lets you know when to be ready before the bird flies up.A great nose and large feet to keep them hunting as well as being able to defend itself against coyotes because it is farther out then some other dogs are. Coyotes do not as a rule come in close to ahunter unless the hunter is calling them or is un noticed. It would be hard to be un noticed with a dog running threw the woods hunting with you.. Some other dogs do like to know where the hunter is as well. So not having to look for them is a trait that others carry.To sum it up it depends on how and where you hunt as well as what you are hunting for that says what kind of dog you need..
Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 PM

ironranger, you got a beautiful springer spaniel. I have hunted with a springer as an all purpose dog for about 10 yrs. and wouldn't trade it for the world. It passed away a couple of years ago due to old age and now I have a lab. I love my lab to death and she is a great dog but to me nothing will ever compare to my springer spaniel
Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

no problem with my lab on hair in home.

of all dogs i have seen in woods,at preserve,i see a lot of them,the only dog i see that can do it all ,not great but does it,is SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN LAB.

as i said, setter is great for grouse,beagle for rabbits.
as for lab keeping up with setter,i already said that i feel the setter is better for grouse BUT lab iin my opinion hunts way i like dog to hunt.

no way SETTER is going to be the all around hunting dog,only 1 i feel gets CLOSE to being that, its the SMALL LONG LEGGED AMERICAN LAB.

now we have POINTING LABS,i dont like point as much asi like the FLUSH,its more exciting to me.

www.warriorsmark.com look at recent events section on menu,this will give you idea of how each dog did in our trails etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.