Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Crops/Plantings for Attracting & Retaining Pheasants >

Crops/Plantings for Attracting & Retaining Pheasants

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Crops/Plantings for Attracting & Retaining Pheasants

Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Spike

Default Crops/Plantings for Attracting & Retaining Pheasants

Our place is pastureland with pheasants nearby. To date, we've seen no pheasants on ours.

Assuming we could attract them (not asking for a debate or lecture), then what would be good spring/summer plantings to keep them there. Would need to be semi-drought tolerant/dryland (think western Kansas) plantings.

Any recommendations on grasses and/or grains?

Thanks!

H
Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 PM

Default RE: Crops/Plantings for Attracting & Retaining Pheasants

Will the land support corn and/or millo? That would be my suggestion. I'm sure there are others here with more knowldge on the subject though.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Where I hunt them here in Alberta, I always find a lot of barley in them maybe look into that, or corn would probably work.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

Herron,
Our family farms 5 years ago had only pasture and crops, wheat, millo, corn. My granddad, dad and I sat down and ploted crp grass fields and sections out. We put around 150 acres in crp grass, the farm ground is corn, millo, wheat. We also have creek bottom and pasture. Our Pheasant and Quail count has went up by a couple hundred birds in 2 years. Before the CRP grass we would see maybe 2-3 pheasants around our farms. This last weekend we saw over 100 on a weekend hunt and around 50 quail. I am a true believer in CRP grass for pheasant and quail, it is excellent habitat for them. Having wheat, milo or corn within a 1/4 mile or so of the CRP grass lets them stay mainly on your property, they don't have to travel so far. That is my experience. Contact pheasants forever or your local ascs office and they can help you out. Our farms arein North Central Kansas.... Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Spike

SGF- is CRP grass just that or does it have another name?

Thanks to all who've replied!

H
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

CRP stands for (Conservation Reserve Program). It is a bunch of native grasses blended together. You can search it on the net. There is a lot of info on it.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM

CRP cover with rag weed and or corn. Corn is a great summer/fall food source and cover. Rag weed is great winter food. CRP is great for breeding/nesting and all year cover.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Yeah, planting a few different crops sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

CRP is good habitat,and leave some ditches and fence rows for them too! Corners with weeds seem to be a favorite along with tailwater ponds.farmers doing clean field farming makes them stay in CRP or leaves them open in stubble and the hawks work them over in stubble,and 2 places I will not hunt enless theres a decent snow is CRP and stubble! Thats for large groups that enjoy excercise,and can't stop talking!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Spike

One word: Kocia

Quick Reply: Crops/Plantings for Attracting & Retaining Pheasants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.