Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

Old 11-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

need advice.
do to some slobs taking shots at my black lab grouse huntingthinking he is coyote,does anyone have a suggestion on vest or anything else to make him more visible.

he gets hot as all our dogs do, so how does vest work,does it cause your dog to heat up or do you all use another type or something else other than vest..
Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 PM

Default RE: HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

ORIGINAL: sproulman

need advice.
do to some slobs taking shots at my black lab grouse huntingthinking he is coyote,does anyone have a suggestion on vest or anything else to make him more visible.

he gets hot as all our dogs do, so how does vest work,does it cause your dog to heat up or do you all use another type or something else other than vest..
You've got to be joking. Shooting at a black lab while thinking he's a coyote? First, I'd slap a bell on your dog if he doesn't have one. They make light nylon vests, but I've never used them. If someone is shooting at a black lab thinking it's a coyote, then there probably isn't anything you can do to keep the idiot from shooting except paint your dog hunter orange.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Martlet

need advice.

You've got to be joking. Shooting at a black lab while thinking he's a coyote? First, I'd slap a bell on your dog if he doesn't have one. They make light nylon vests, but I've never used them. If someone is shooting at a black lab thinking it's a coyote, then there probably isn't anything you can do to keep the idiot from shooting except paint your dog hunter orange.
black coyotes are real prize.
also i was reading on herethat hunters are shooting dogs because they are disturbing their archery /turkey hunting.
so, i got to make him more visible.
bell is good idea for hunters in woods but my problem,so far is ROAD HUNTERS hunting grouse,they just shoot.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM

I've heard of hunters shooting dogs for running deer, but never for disturbing their hunting. That's a shame. The person that takes a shot at my pup while she's doing what she's supposed to do had better take me out first.

That being said, I'd look at the light vests. Anything you put on the pup is going to add to the heat, but since they don't sweat it shouldn't hurt. Particularly now that it's getting colder.

black coyotes are real prize.
also i was reading on herethat hunters are shooting dogs because they are disturbing their archery /turkey hunting.
so, i got to make him more visible.
bell is good idea for hunters in woods but my problem,so far is ROAD HUNTERS hunting grouse,they just shoot.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

i got to make him more visible.
Do you hunt in the woods? A day glow collar and a bell attached should do the trick. Then if they shoot at your dog something would be wrong. Even roadhunters would be able to hear the bell if they are close enough to see it. You have been saying over and over how they shoot at your dog, my question now is has it ever been hit? Perhaps they are shooting to try and get you to go hunt elsewhere? It sounds that way to me with as much shooting that has been done at your dog.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

I run my dogs with day glow orange collars from cabelas, they are like 15.00 with your phone number and address. I also run a bell from Lion Country supply, they sound like cows going thru the woods but better safe than having some guy shoot your dog.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I run my dogs with day glow orange collars from cabelas
The same thing I run only from a different supplier, I took a heated nail and made 2 holes in mine so I could rivet the bells on. I also use the 2 inch day glows to help me see them in the thick stuff.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:43 AM

My dog wears a Cabela's vest. She wears it for 2 reasons. 1st sunday trips to the vet to get stitched up due to barb wire fences get expensive really quickly. 2nd it helped make her more visibile in the field. Labs are a popular dog and when you get a few yellows out there running back and forth in the corn it's nice to have the vest on her for easy recognition. I can vouch that that it has definatly saved her from multiple trips to the vet. It's outer shell is torn up/ripped up from her going through stuff. Well worth the investment (which wasn't much) to keep the dog safe

Best picture I could find with her wearing it

Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cgguy

I run my dogs with day glow orange collars from cabelas, they are like 15.00 with your phone number and address. I also run a bell from Lion Country supply, they sound like cows going thru the woods but better safe than having some guy shoot your dog.
i use those collars on my lab.but i did not put bell on it.
will see if i can rivet my bell on.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

i got to make him more visible.
Do you hunt in the woods? A day glow collar and a bell attached should do the trick. Then if they shoot at your dog something would be wrong. Even roadhunters would be able to hear the bell if they are close enough to see it. You have been saying over and over how they shoot at your dog, my question now is has it ever been hit? Perhaps they are shooting to try and get you to go hunt elsewhere? It sounds that way to me with as much shooting that has been done at your dog.
my dog was only shot at once.
other time this week, roadhunter got out of truck loaded his gun,then i shot in the air, he left.

i hunt along
ROADS in morning here in pa.
the grouse fly down for stones and water in culverts.
as for collars, you really cant see them to good when sun is out and dog running thru brush even on BLACK DOG.
as for bell,i dont think roadhunters will hear bell inside their trucks with engine running.
but i do think thats good idea in woods away from ROADS,i am doing that tonight.

Quick Reply: HOW TO MAkE YOUR DOG SEEN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.