Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 I need some advise on pheasent huntin. >

I need some advise on pheasent huntin.

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I need some advise on pheasent huntin.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:52 PM

Default I need some advise on pheasent huntin.

I've been pheasent huntin for a couple yrs now and we don't have a dog and it seems like we ain't kicking many up.I only got 1 the whole yr last yr. Any advise how i could get my limit of pheasent?
Old 11-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I need some advise on pheasent huntin.

Walk slow, weave back and forth to cover more ground. stop every 20 yards or so like you have seen a pheasant, makes them jumpy if they think
something has seen them. or just get a dog.Are you seeing birds fly out ahead of you or do you see signs of pheasants being there? nesting, pheasant crapp etc....?We hunt with dogs in fields that have good pheasant populations, some days they just don't want to fly also..
Good luck this season.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Super G Force

Walk slow, weave back and forth to cover more ground. stop every 20 yards or so like you have seen a pheasant, makes them jumpy if they think
something has seen them. or just get a dog.Are you seeing birds fly out ahead of you or do you see signs of pheasants being there? nesting, pheasant crapp etc....?We hunt with dogs in fields that have good pheasant populations, some days they just don't want to fly also..
Good luck this season.
Good advice, particularly if you are hunting stocked pheasant. You sometimes have to almost step on them, or stop for a long while before they'll flush.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Martlet

Good advice, particularly if you are hunting stocked pheasant. You sometimes have to almost step on them, or stop for a long while before they'll flush.
Not sure if you were refering that I am hunting stocked pheasants. I never have and never will. All of ours are wild. Hunting in CRP grass, milow stock, corn stock. Somedays they just set tighter than others. If the birds are sitting tight you walk right over them.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetail4ever

I've been pheasent huntin for a couple yrs now and we don't have a dog and it seems like we ain't kicking many up.I only got 1 the whole yr last yr. Any advise how i could get my limit of pheasent?
sproule to rescue.
more hunters with you, the better.
1 person, you lose.
i hunt with my lab.
phesants can really get hard to flush/shoot after they are hunted.

but i see groups of 6 hunters get the birds all time.
i was out today, i flushed 2 birds with my dog.
they flew up at 50 yds away.
even great sproul is not good enough to get them at that range EVEN with my full choke and no.5 shot.

by yourself, only advice i can give is walk 10 steps, stand their for a few minutes, 10 more, stand,10 more stand and only hunt a small area,DONT cover a lot of territory..

remember, a bird needs 2 things,COVER/FOOD..only hunt where you find that..
if you have lots of food, find the THICKEST area with food,i mean where briars cut your face..
but remember this,GET READY TO MISS THE BIRD,but you will have fun....
Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 PM

thanks guys im learnen alot, but keep them comin
Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Not sure if you were refering that I am hunting stocked pheasants. I never have and never will. All of ours are wild. Hunting in CRP grass, milow stock, corn stock. Somedays they just set tighter than others. If the birds are sitting tight you walk right over them.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Here in Massachusetts all we have are stocked pheasant. This is the first time I've ever hunted stocked. I hate hunting stocked, but love working the dogs so I do it. I've found that they generally sit much tighter than wild. That's what I meant. You have to stop a little longer if you don't have a dog. Usually their fine when they flush. Today, however, I had two flush and tree right in front of me. I had to throw sticks at them to get them to take off.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Here in Massachusetts all we have are stocked pheasant. This is the first time I've ever hunted stocked. I hate hunting stocked, but love working the dogs so I do it. I've found that they generally sit much tighter than wild. That's what I meant. You have to stop a little longer if you don't have a dog. Usually their fine when they flush. Today, however, I had two flush and tree right in front of me. I had to throw sticks at them to get them to take off.
Misunderstanings for everybody!!! sorry, I misunderstood you also, funny stuff.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 PM

ya i hunt wild pheasents here in iowa.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Make friends with dog trainers or guys with dogs! If you're lucky they'll ask you to training sessions and you can shoot even more.

Quick Reply: I need some advise on pheasent huntin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.