Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Got a few Ruffies

Old 10-27-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Got a few Ruffies

Here are some ruffies i managed to bag on my elk hunt. 6 total one i got with bow. I got one with each weapon i took. The 12 gauge, .22, Bow and my 30.06 the one with the 30.06 made me super mad when he almost ran into after scaring the hell out of me. Put the cross hairs on his neck and BOOM perfect shot.

the two above are from these three, i took the one in the middle, the one on the right rolled down a lil hill to its right lol and the one on the left just sat there when his buddy was flappin around in front of him so i popped him too. Couldnt find the third.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got a few Ruffies

nice, i was out today too in caroline. smoked a bunch with the 410 and one with a .22lr.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

I got 8 in total and my dad got one. Ill be posting them in the small game contest, so i wont post all of them here.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

how far did the one go that you shot with the .22? i find that it takes a second for them to figure out their dead. I was using an over and under .22/410 and spotted one on a log, so i let him have it through the wing butts with the .22 barrel. It whacked him off the log and my dad went and grabbed him.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:43 PM

That's the first bird I ever shot.... all I remember is that they are a stupid bird...

Nice Kills!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:53 PM

the one i took with the .22 didnt go anywhere, i pretty much took the head off, just hangin on by skin and feathers, just the normal nerve twitching
Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

nice, with a .22 i usually aim right in the wing joints and the bullet goes right behing the meat. Once i get better with open sights, ill try being a little more surgical and pull off some head shots