Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Are pattern master chokes worth the money? >

Are pattern master chokes worth the money?

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Are pattern master chokes worth the money?

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default Are pattern master chokes worth the money?

I have no experience with them, but had a buddy the other day tell me that they are the ONLY choke to use.

My Citori has the Invector Plus system, should I buy one fordove and pheasant hunting and bustin a few clays?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are pattern master chokes worth the money?

There are a number of products on the market that perform very well. Patternmaster is a good product, but their notion of "wad retention" as a means of improving performance is nothing more than marketing hype.

Their notion is that by retarding the wad, the choke tube will decrease the shot string (the distance between the first pellet to arrive at point of impact and the last pellet). I did the analysis, and the reality is that this boils down to an issue of 1/1000ths of a second even when you are talking about the slowest loads. So the question becomes how much distance can your target travel in 1/1000th of a second. If you think it can travel a great enough distance to impact your overall success than this wad retention stuff is definately the product for you.

My opinion is if you are willing to spend $ 100+ on a choke tube, go for a brileys or terror or one of the other companies that just focus on making damn good choke tubes and stay away from the gimicks.

If you are sold on this notion of wad retention, look at Patternmaster and Wad Wizard. They both do the exact same thing.

Good luck
Old 09-19-2007, 01:05 PM

ive shot doves with my patternmaster but they shoot so tight that i had better luck with modified. a PM would be good for those longrange pheasants though. i would say they are worth the money. practice with them or you will shoot alot of ammo with little results.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Spike

pattern master is the only way to go for waterfowl!