HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   do dove decoys work (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/202938-do-dove-decoys-work.html)

bowfisherman 08-19-2007 12:24 PM

do dove decoys work

got permission to goose hunt a horse farm. While we were cleaning up the pond we noticed a lot of doves landing on the post and rail fences that are all over the farm. We were thinking of getting a few decoys from walmart and setting them up on the fence. Is it worth trying? I know we will do well just sitting along the fence but wouldn't mind trying some decoys if they work well.

Browningfan369 08-19-2007 12:57 PM

RE: do dove decoys work

They've worked for me in the past, what works even better is the MOJO dove, the battery powered ones are illeagle in some states. I have the wind powered one for PA. When the wind is blowing it does it's job.

Good luck and congrats on the goose spot, they're becoming harder and harder to find these days

bowfisherman 08-19-2007 01:11 PM

thanks. I hear ya about the hunting spots. I'm in PA too. Chester county.

psandhu 08-19-2007 01:45 PM

don't leave your decoys out overnight, like i did when i hunt on my own land. hawks, owls, and other predators willattack them. if you have the hard plastic decoys, they'll be ok. if you get the hollow foam kind, they'll look like they've been through a garbage disposer the next day.

Goose Assasin 08-19-2007 04:59 PM

yes they work for me exceedingly well! most guys laughed at me for buying them until the birds they shot at came striat to me, there were birds in the tree behind me that i didnt even know about till someone told me. they even sat there while i shot at birds passing by! i have 10 foam deeks this years will be the first year to try the mojo i bought 2 i hope they work and encourage you to buy at least 5 to try them out.

Goose Assasin 08-19-2007 05:00 PM

also dont leave them unattended if there are cows around they will pull them from the trees or fence and knaw on them!

heckyea 08-21-2007 03:38 PM

The mojos do.

DuckHuntin247 08-23-2007 10:51 PM

Mojo's are amazing. I have 6 feather lite inflatable ground decoys with stakes that look really good. They're like actual pics of doves printed onto the decoy. They work pretty well but they are somewhat fagile being inflatable and all.

yatesm 08-27-2007 09:56 PM

walmart has some cheap plastic ones that im trying this year jsut putseven out yesterday ill let ya know how they do

adaman04 09-02-2007 09:02 PM

Read my response in the Mojo Dove thread on this page. I don't have one yet, but boy am I getting one. Alsocheap dove decoys never hurt. :D