Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dove baiting in Texas

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Dove baiting in Texas

Ok, I've come across some that I've been given full access to for dove hunting. Hunted there last year and it wasn't bad hunting. Anyway, I've heard of people putting down Milo a month or so before season to get the birds more interested in the field. Anyone know the laws of this can fill me in? I've read about places in Texas that have Milo feeders. I know I can't hunt over baited fields so don't respond if thats all you want to tell me.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Default RE: Dove baiting in Texas

Ok, I've answered my own question with a little research...... Unless it's grown in the field it basically can't be there. Once removed, harvested, it can't be scattered.
Anyway, I'm not wanting to bait, but someone else does before the season. I'd rather just mow parts of the field and be done with it.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have known guys who were "sloppy harvesters" if you know what i mean
Old 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

The combine can't harvest all the seed, and that typically leads to a great place to hunt!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 AM

Yea, I gottcha. Too bad the 300 acres isn't really used for much of anything than cattle. There's a field fenced off for watermelon and some other vege, but that's it. There's plent of goat weed in the South East corner. Recommend cutting part of it down?? Or leave?? It gets to about waist to chest high around dove season....
Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

they'll eat on sunflowers if you have any of those growing wild
Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Don't ever see wild sunflower in these parts. Can I plant them in plans for nest season?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Look for either wheat or wild marijuana fields in addition to sunflowers. I know the doves in Kansas will go crazy for either one. There was one particular pond that had tonnes of wild marijuana growing around it. The doves came their in droves. We nicknamed the pond "party pond"
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 PM

I think the dove would have a definiteflying chance if I was sitting at "party pond"!!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

They like the goat weed and croton too. Croton is their favorite. Last year most of the birds we took were full of wheat and croton.
If you have them now, you'll likely have them when the season comes. If you have them coming through now you'll likely have them throughout the season. Any native seed producing grasses or plants or crops are preferred....

They feast on deer corn in December.
Standing crop okay. Must be two weeks after the cut date on the crop before the field is hunted, unless the rule has changed.

Whack 'em and stack 'em

Quick Reply: Dove baiting in Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.