Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Yeah, I had to re-read the part about 1 or 2 years old. That seems a bit out there to me. But, I guess we all have our notions on what is and what is not acceptable.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I started tagging along with my dad when I was about the same age. I practically begged him. Begged another 20 years before he took me deer hunting.

My husband was his dad's first realy bird dog. Dove went down. "Son, go get that one". He was about your boy's age.

At field trials and hunt tests and training days, the new kids about the same age always want to carry the bird. I don't know what the fixation is but it's strong. We let them carry the bird.
There are a lot of lessons involved. Safety, dog care, hunting ethics, sportsmanship, land steward, conservation.

Take the boy, make sure he has hearing and eye protection. Just be prepared if he doesn't like it not to push it...
Good grief they get enough of hunting is wrong from tv and movies...why not show him the rewards of being outdoors.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:08 PM

I took my son in a backpack that is designed for little kids when you are hiking. I would take him walking on the trails at the hunting shack while his father was ahead of us hunting for grouse. I don't know where anyone got the idea that I had him in a tree. He has always had ear muffs on for his protection.We have a stand 75 yds from the house andwe sit in the back office and wecan watch his fatheror uncle shoot a deer.I sit in our back field with him and we watch deer all the time. It's not like I gave a kid a gun.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 AM

When he was a year and two years old we would put him in a backpack so he sat above me.

Can you see where that might be taken as you had him hanging above you in a treestand?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM

I was talking about grouse hunting. You don't grouse hunt out of a stand.
If I'm wrong for taking him out in the woods with me then ALOT of people
around here are wrong too.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I think the overall thought was that you had a 1 - 2 year old with you when YOU were shooting (in close proximity).

Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

I did, Keaton was in the pack behind me. He saw dogs on point, birds flush, me shoot them or missand birds retrieved. I carried he until he was 4 and got to big to carry. And incase your ready to give me crap about his ears, they make ear protection for little kids. See the point is, it was us hunting together, not about me hunting. Success wasn't the issue, time together was and he loved going. If there were a bunch of other guys going, he stayed at home and cried because I left him. But when you have guys that the whole deal is how many birds they kill, I didn't need that around my boy. The I am superior hunter guys I won't hunt with anyway, way too much ego for me. My son learned ethics, conduct and enjoyment of being out. And if we happened to shoot something it was a plus. I didn't have anything to prove to anybody then and don't now. If the only group I hunt with is my sons and dogs, I am just fine with that. And the 2 guys THAT I WOULD hunt with when Keaton was little, loved having him along.
Gselkhunter
Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 PM

I'm 15 and I was about that age when I started going out with my dad, had to wait another 7 years to be able to shoot though, I loved going out, let your son carry a few birds either get him avest or an old backpack if you cant find one to fit himor you are affraid of him growing out of it, just be sure to take a break ever little while, about ever 15-20 min for a few miniutes each time
Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

My husband's mother took him out in the same manner. His ears were protected and she was not shooting just out with his dad on quail hunts. The only side effect was he's a life long hunter and bird hunting is his first love.
Don't judge people for taking kids hunting that's what the anti's do. The next thing you know they'll want the kids taken away from hunting parents!

CrazyLady-check out this website, I think you'll enjoy the sisterhood of hunters. www.txdiva.org, we're worldwide.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Anyone that puts a kid in back-pack and walks into a field or the woods is considered Hiking. Normal folks that might carry a gun in this manner would be carring it only for (in case of an emergency)
A Real Hunt is when: since this is the (upland bird hunting forum)
Requires alot of walking and negotionating cover/briars, ditches, rough terrian, and other things that normal folks consider as inappropriate for even the most experienced hikers to take small children on.

To all of those that think taking your kids on a stroll out into the back-40 is a hunt. You are wrong, this should be an introduction to the great outdoorsand conservation of our wildlife and habitat.
Introducing a youngster to a gun should only and i repeat only be done in a controledenviroment, such as a shooting range or shoot outing were the adult has complete control of the surroundings and the gun.

Quick Reply: HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.