Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 AM

Default HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

At what age would you take your son/daughter out in the field to tag along for a little bird shooting.
My son will be 5 this year right about the time that we will have a one day chance to go out and shoot a few birds. This situation is this. I am currently overseas, and will be home on leave in October. I will be getting together with a breeder to shoot a few birds over a couple of his dogs to make my final decicion between GSP and English Setter. I am wanting to take my son out for this experience just to walk along and get some dad/son time and start to expose him to hunting just a little. He knows that i hunt, and he understands what that means, (something gets shot). I don't really know about this one since I didn't grow up in a family that hunted. IS THIS TOO EARLY?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Not at all. The earlier, the better. My son started going out with me when he turned 4. He loves it. Loves watching the dogs work and has no problem with the connection of shoot, kill, clean, eat.

I know it's funny coming to grips with this when you come from a family that didn't hunt, but I think it's better for the child to make the connection earlier vs later. We are predators; why deny it? Expose him now and let him come to his own conclusions when he finds out others don't agree with him.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 AM

My brother and I started tagging along about then. We loved it!

Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 PM

I've taken my son since he was a baby! When he was a year and two years old we would put him in a backpack so he sat above me. When he was three he walked and carried the birds. He would play with them all day. He watched us clean them and that nite he ate them. It was funny watching him eat them saying birdy, birdy. He's been with us deer hunting too. He's seen us shoot a couple deer and has come in the field and help gut them. He likes to hold the legs. I think the younger the better.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the info. That is kinda what I was thinking too. And especially since this isn't going to be a really "true hunt". We, for the most part will be shooting farm raised birds. The breeder that I am visiting raises several thousand irds a year for training and such.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:56 AM

I have been taking my nephew with me in the pheasant fields since he was five. He likes to cary a bird or two in his vest. He really likes helping with the cleaning of the birds.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:33 AM

I think the younger you can get them hooked the better. My son will be 4 at the need of the month and he's been scouting with us all month now. He thinks it's a big adventure walking thru the woods looking for deer signs. We make a game out of it.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 PM

crazylady,
You are a re Crazy-Beach, and should be a poster child for peta. What the hay are you thinking. taking a baby out and shooting guns around them at less than 2 years old.
(PURE CRAZY)(NO SENSE)(YOU SHOULD BE SPADDED)
Mite's thread "some people should not own dogs"
YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE CHILDREN

Here is the rule of thumb for the real bird hunters and mature adults
As soon as they are responsible with a BB Gun. Around 9-10 years old
get them involved afew times a year save the birds in the trees or on the ground. Away from the dogs. and let them have them.
(same as training a young dog) Too much too soon equals no hunt or no discpiline.
Never start a young bird hunter with a 410
when they are old enough to handle a lite 20 then they can hunt and be succesfull at it.
More than likely this will be around 12-13 years old
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM

The hunt in question isn't going to be a true bird hunt. I am meeting with a breeder to see is english setters and GSP's. We are going to shoot a handfull of pen raised birds. There is no intent to have my son shooting anything yet. I now that he isn't ready, but just to get out for some dad time and watch the dogs work, and shoot a couple birds. Is 5 years old too young for that?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Not at all, If you really want your son to get into hunting and develop a heart and spirit for the great outdoors, than by all means I say let him hunt with you. Im a young hunter and I taught myself to hunt, becuase no one believes in hunting, many of people that live near me think it is a crime, so I had to grab my slingshot, got to the field, practice shooting, and miss a couple birds by about 10 feet at ranges of 15 feet!!!!!![:-][:-]But I got better,I pin Cottontails down with my bow at 20-25 feet away, like your son will get better.

Quick Reply: HOW YOUNG IS TOO YOUNG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.