Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Boykin Spaniels?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Boykin Spaniels?

I have never hunted with aBoykin Spaniel before...What are they like? Are they a pointer or a flushing dog? They are good looking dogs...Are they good pets, I hunt with a Lab...however my wife is starting to hunt and wants a dog, she does not want a Lab, she wants a pointer...this looks like a good option...any help would be great
Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Default RE: Boykin Spaniels?

Don't know alot about Boykins but have seen some run in HRC and they did very well. I'm almost sure they are a flushing dog, but not 100% on that. I have heard that they are both great in the field and in the house. While we are lab guys, I really like the Spaniels. Watching a "GOOD" spaniel work a field is like watching a work of art!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Don't forget the pointing labs.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

Don't forget the pointing labs.
That could be an option...she wants a smaller type dog...And she is woman so I hear her roar
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM

I have Boykins, raise and train them as well. They are a pure flushing dog and good retriever. They will also do waterfowl as well.
Here is a link to some hunting pics and history about them
http://www.boykinspanieldogs.com

Boykins are funny about hunting just like any breed, always buy one from a hunting blood line. Also they have to have training and be introduced to birds at a young age. you can not wait till they are 2 years old.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM

There are pointing labs lines that throw smaller dogs. My brothers female is only 50 lbs and my male is only 68 lbs. Can't go wrong with a pointing lab! A Brittney (sp) might be another option.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have been around a few. As a breed they are prone to hip dysplasia so you want parents and grandparents tested. They are now an AKC Breed and they run in the Flushing Spaniel Hunting Tests. I judged one this past spring in a junior level test.I have also seen them in HRC training. I know two people who have them.
They are not pointers. They typically don't flush as boldly as a field bred springer or cockerbut they have good drive and are a nice sized companion animal. They ones I have been around have been very birdy and intent on getting whatever hits the ground. For a flushing dog this makes steady to wing and shot much tougher however most hunters only want steady to wing and the dog to come when called off.

Go to the website that Dale listed. Check out the www.akc.org or www.essft.com for more information on the hunting test requirements. There are some "softer" flushers out there but they tend to be inconsistent in the field. PM me if you want more details.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Who are the Parents? Question for the new Decade. It has only been a few years that labs would point. we all know were they came from. The real deal is that trainers/breeders representing what they are selling.
Here is werre the pointing labs come from

Old 07-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

Dale,
Now we do know that poniting is a dna thing. With that there are certain labs that hold that trait. I am not a ware of proof that a gsp or other "pointer" gives the lab the ability to point. I will agree that you need to be careful with a pointing lab. There are many people out there trying to cash in on this wonderful dog. However, finding a quality p/l is not that hard. I will put a p/l up against any dog. My p/l pup easily keeps up with my gsp and dominates in retrieving. The last I heard a p/l won the NAGDA (?) against all pointing breeds. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM

"Who are the Parents? Question for the new Decade. It has only been a few years that labs would point. we all know were they came from." -

FC Downtown Dusty Brown throws strong pointing pups! Are you calling him a half breed mutt?

Jazztime kennels has a CFC, CAFC GMPR titled lab (name is Chance, don't know whole name off the top of my head)! What about him?

What about FC AFC Jazztime? AFC Trieven classical Jazz? FC AFC Yellowstone's TNT Explosion? FC AFC Gunstock's Lethal Weapon? FC AFC The Marathon Man? FC AFC Gunstocks Caramel Crunch? FC AFC Stone's Throw Marion's Choice? And yes, I could go on. Are these dogs halfbreeds because they pointed or have thrown pointing dogs? Is that what you are saying?

Quick Reply: Boykin Spaniels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.