Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

South Dakota???

Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: South Dakota???

went out yesterday afternoon check the game camera and flushed a couple of big groups of pheasants, they were flying up everywhere! can't wait to get the dog out on some birds. only 45 more days!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:09 PM

This is my last year as a SD resident I hope to make it a great hunting season! My father and I went out around the Kimball area to shoot some clay birds and well, it's going to be one of those years where every hunt should produce birds!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

It's offical, I will be headed out with some buddies from the Rocky Mt. Pointing Lab Club on Nov.16! Still deciding on an area, but we be there.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I lived in Brookings a couple years back. That is around 2 hours north of Mitchell. There is a lot of public areas which if I recall filled iwth birds. You should do fine in that area.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bl|nk

I hunt the Mitchell area alot (I'm from Mitchell) I stick to a 3 section of Public land just north east of mitchell (about 15 minutes or so) I've always had good luck and it's a big clump of land so even if alot of hunters get onto it I can usually find myself some unwalked area. For west of Mitchell my father and I used to hunt the public land between Plankinton & Whitelake. These public areas get hit really hard during the first part of the season. I've heard of good area hunting around the Woonsocket area.

I usually take my lab (also a pointer ) out around 2 - 3 and just hunt 'til sundown. the public land just north / east of Mitchell has always produced birds. I like the area because I always have to walk my dog to get some birds. Hens or roosters I no longer care as long as I get good dog work i'm happy with my hunt. Hunting the Kimball area I can go out for 30 minutes and already be heading home.

-Eric.
boy, that must be something to have pheasant hunting like that..
pa. is plain terrible, i saw 3 pheasants for about 12 days of hunting hard.

SGL land here is great,all kinds of feed etc but no deer or pheasants..

we went fro best state to hunt to almost worst state to hunt..
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SDarcher

went out yesterday afternoon check the game camera and flushed a couple of big groups of pheasants, they were flying up everywhere! can't wait to get the dog out on some birds. only 45 more days!
IM DROOLING,STOP IT...
Old 10-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

isn't there a 20000 acre national grassland around there? all public hunting
Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

It has come down two two areas, Mitchell and Pierre. Any thoughts on which offers better public access?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM

I haven't been up in the Pierre area but have heard good things of it. I think they are predicting record birds so it won't make to much of a difference. For public land I've hunted in the Mitchell area (obviously) within about 30 miles of it (Plankinton area included) both have been good for me. The problem with the Mitchell & Plankinton area is that it's right off of I90. I think it gets more pressure because if it's accessibility. From numerous trips through Aberdeen area I might say that could be some of the best in the state.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

bl|nk's right, they're predicting the most birds we've had in 50 years for this year. You shouldn't have much trouble no matter where you go. Good luck!

Quick Reply: South Dakota???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.