Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dogs ?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Dogs ?

cat fan,
I hope your name reffers to CAT equipment.
Ferrel cats or house cats are the worst thing of all on wild birds. Pheasant, Chukar, Quail, Grouse, Partridge; whatever species andwherever you are.

No dog will ever be perfect but, there is a big difference between a real bird dog and something that points. There is also a difference between dogs that have the drive to do thingsand dogs that need help or encourangement.
We call these dogs prospects untill they prove themselves.
One thing a great trainer taught me was that a dog. horse, or a man had one thing in common.
Either they have it or they don't.
Ability, Sense, and Desire

Old 07-09-2007, 04:44 PM

Everyone has their own opinion on which breed is the best. Some people try to push their ideas on you. I would think about what I wanted from my dog. Is it going to be a house dog or kennel dog. Some breeds don't do well being left in kennels. Do you want a hyper dog or one that is not so hyper. There is alot to consider when picking a breed. Then when you find a breed you like there is picking a breeder. Some breeds are bred in different sizes and colors. It's all about personal opinion not what someone else believes.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Once you narrow your list down to a one or two breeds then talk to several breeders. See if you can meet a few dogs, watch them work and interact with people, other animals and kids (if you have them).
A pointer fan doesn't always care for flushing dogs.

You might want to spend a little more money and get a started dog, meaning a dog that's had some training and is not what the owner/trainer is looking for in a trial dog or as their own gundog.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Brittanyis one of the so called versatile hunting breeds. She likes water, woods, fields ect but likes the couch more.
In fact, she only likes warm summer water, hates thorns, and could not find a bird on a bet. The dumb witch (sp)likes fishing more.
Yuh know when this post isdone i'm gonna take her for a walk in the woods (wink wink) or maybe send her to the farm in the country. Not really... I would get rid of my 14 and 16 year old kids first.
Just remember that you buy a dog then the real work starts. Like a full time job to train a decent dog..
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

We have to pull our field bred springers out of the field and water. They love it so much. They'd work themselves to death.
Planter is right when you get a pup the real work starts and it takes a couple of seasons for them to get the hang of things.
If you don't have the time to invest in a pup's training. Save a little more cash and find a started dog.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM

I use a Yellow Lab Male...And will not have any other dog...however that does not mean it's the best dog, it just means it is the best dog for me...you need to find the dog that is best for you...of course I would tell you to get a Yellow Lab, but I from what I have read everyone believes in there dogs the same way...There are some days I hunt Ducks in the morning, dove mid-morning and quail after that...I can only handle one dog thats why I have a lab...I have tan carpet so the yellow hair is no problem...good luck in you search
Old 07-28-2007, 03:01 AM

Lots of great info here to help you. Before I make a reccommendation, I have to ask, where are you going to do most of your hunting. Are you shooting ducks up north, ou know, Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin? Or are you somewhere warmer, down south? If you duck hunt more, and it is up north, then I think a Pointing Lab would be hard to beat. I have had many long cold days hunting ducks in Michigan and Canada, and that weather just wouldn't be fair to alot of dogs that are in and out of the water. If you plan to hunt more upland birds, and your waterfowl hunting will be done not as often, or down south, then look into a GSP. Suppossedly, they will do both, very well, point birds, and retreive them. I don't want to offend any Lab owners here, but Labs as a whole that I have seen, just don't have the same stamina, as a GSP, or the other pointing breeds to run birds all day. Same is said for the pointers, they might retreive, ut wil lthe go all day, in cold water like the labs, or Chesapeke Bay Retreivers.
Just ask yourself those questions. Where do I hunt most, and what do I hunt the most of. Then find your dog with that in mind.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:05 PM

I use my Jack Russels, there small but they are good at hunting Rabbit and Bird. I only took them hunting once.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
jwy

The besttreeratdog i ever had was a toy poodle my aunt had when i was a teenager.He stayed within sight and brought them back to me when i shot them out with a pellet gun ,he didnt bark at them just stood up on the tree and stared at them.got my bag limit with him quite often.I currently have britttanys and love them.They do shed, they run the yard now,my wifes much happier.I got a big wiem that sleeps beside my bed everynight,he sheds too but his hair is onlyabout a quarter-inch long.There are a lot of good breeds out there I wouldnt rule anything out.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

Lots of great info here to help you. Before I make a reccommendation, I have to ask, where are you going to do most of your hunting. Are you shooting ducks up north, ou know, Michigan, Canada, Wisconsin? Or are you somewhere warmer, down south? If you duck hunt more, and it is up north, then I think a Pointing Lab would be hard to beat. I have had many long cold days hunting ducks in Michigan and Canada, and that weather just wouldn't be fair to alot of dogs that are in and out of the water. If you plan to hunt more upland birds, and your waterfowl hunting will be done not as often, or down south, then look into a GSP. Suppossedly, they will do both, very well, point birds, and retreive them. I don't want to offend any Lab owners here, but Labs as a whole that I have seen, just don't have the same stamina, as a GSP, or the other pointing breeds to run birds all day. Same is said for the pointers, they might retreive, ut wil lthe go all day, in cold water like the labs, or Chesapeke Bay Retreivers.
Just ask yourself those questions. Where do I hunt most, and what do I hunt the most of. Then find your dog with that in mind.
best dog is one that LISTENS and looks for you not you for them.....

i like lab but they do shed but not bad...
lab DOES tire out quick, i agree with you on that..
they are not best dog but they do things so good all around and LISTEN well,that its hard to find a dog like them that do all things good..

my best bird dog is LEWELLIN SETTER.
my best duck dog is LAB.
my best all around dog is,SMALL LONG LEGGED LAB....

Quick Reply: Dogs ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.