Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dogs ?

Old 06-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Spike

Default RE: Dogs ?

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

Give me a pointing lab! It the best of both worlds. After you get yourself a P/L, go buy an Oreck to deal with the hair.
Actually, the Dyson DC17 Animal version is the best i've found. If it can get all the hair from my 3 English Setters, GSP and Rottoff the carpet, it can certainly get a labs shedding.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM

The 5.5hp shop vac
works great too
costs 100 bucks
Old 06-28-2007, 01:00 PM

My hunting dog is a Black Lab. But there are alot of good dogs out there. Do your research before you buy and get all the supplies and feed you will need to properly care for your pup. Alot of people keep their dogs outside in kennels and such. But I find that with all the dogs I have had the ones kept by my side at all times are the ones that turn out most loyal.
Good Luck
Old 06-28-2007, 01:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

All dogs - no matter what the breed need coat servicing. Is part of taking good care of the animal.

One simple thing I do with mine is use a hacksaw blade as it removes loose fine under hair really nice.

Now for breed of choice - all hunting stock dogs can be trained to do both grouse or ducks. Depends on whether you want a pointing dog or not.

I suggest - go take a look at a few different breeds at the many dog events that one can compete in - then do some research on a few breeds as you choice narrows down and then make your choice.There are many great reputable breeders out there!

Saying one breed is better than another is hogwash and starts board wars. Each of us have chosen a breed we like as it is our choice.

JW
Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM

I have a vizsla and 2 pale labs. If it was up to me I would have all Vizslas. I can take her hunting anywhere and by the time we get back to the truck she is dry and clean. I can't say that for the labs. They will be wet and stinky for a day. The vizsla doesn't have an undercoat so I use a vest on her when duck hunting in cold weather. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 PM

Vizslas don't get dirty. unless you walk them to the dirt.
They also don't find birds, unless you walk them to the birds.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Rather harsh words daleh!

I for one have jduged some very nice visulas.

JW
Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM

My vizsla hunting great. I for one will never be without one. She is a great hunting dog and a great house dog. Unlike our very expensive pointing lab. I can't the lab with kids at all. She growls at kids. Everyone has their opinion. I just not a lab person and I have to live with two.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

We use our field bred springers for everything doves to geese.When it gets cold (now we're in north central Texas) we put them in neoprene vests. We do a lot of pond jumping in West Texas but for early teal and most of the season they've been just fine without the vests.
There's no such thing as a dog that doesn't shed much. They all shed at least 2x a year. Regular bathing, brushing and coat stripping tools work best to keep the hair down to a minimum. We use a Mars Coat King to strip the coat works great to pull our burs and anything that gets caught in the coat.
I know I'll likely take heat for it but longer coats shed less than shorter coats. I knew a man from MN who guided clients for ducks.grouse &woodcockwith his springers.

I'd focus on what you're looking to do with the do first and then take the breed's coat type into consideration. Find the right breed for you and your home and the rest will work itself out.

Ask 3 different dog trainers get 3 different answers.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:24 PM

i've been told the cross bred labradoodles don't shed can't speak for their performance though

Quick Reply: Dogs ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.