Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Doves

Old 08-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Doves

A lot of the same processes from what I am reading here is my sequence of cleaning.

[ol][*]Cut wings off with some game shears, knife, or simply twist and snap.[*]Place bird in left hand with breast facing up[*]With right hand place thumb towards the south end of the breast (between legs) and place your forefinger and other fingers at top of breast.[*]Work your thumb under the breast plate (as if sticking your thumb up their butt)[*]Slowly pull with both left and right hands to seperate breast from body.[*]Remove excess skin and feathers and rinse all of them when done.[/ol]Doing it this way is the quickest and cleanest way for me. When done I let sit in some salt water for a couple of hours, then with some kitchen or game shears cut the wing bones back down a little bit.

If I think about it this year I will video tape this process and post it on here.

Less than 4 weeks!!!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 AM

I have never hunted doves, at least not since I have gotten away from shooting the neighborhood birds with w BB gun when I was about 10. But anyway. I have on the other hand shot my fair shair of pheasants, and grouse.

I am not sure if this will work with dove or not, but this is how we clean pheasants, fast and easy as well. Might not be worth it for dove, since i see alot of other easy ways to do this.

Take your bird, lay it on its back. Place a foot on either wing, right next to the body, as colse as you can get. Grab the feet and pull frimly. Don't jerk them though. You will get the breast bone, and breast meat. there will be no feathers to pluck, just take the meat off the breast bone and do what you do with it.

NOW, once I get back to the states, I am going to have to give shootig doves a try. I gotta try a couple of these recipes.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I don't believe that would work with dove...their legs are far too small for that to work. I can foresee just the legs coming off.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM

I figured that they would be a little small, but thought I'd still toss it out there. Though give it a try on pheasants and grouse. I'm told it works wekk for chickens too

Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 AM

Dove are great on the grill. I've even tried them in the oven with a few friends recipies.

Taste like frog legs......
Old 08-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Breast'em
Old 08-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Fork Horn

I've known a few who really love doves and take the time to pluck the entire bird. When it comes to legs and wings they don't bother to pick away what litle meat there is - just eat the whole thing - bones and all. Chew it up long enough until it is soft enough to swallow.