Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Has anyone hunted ptarmigan? >

Has anyone hunted ptarmigan?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Has anyone hunted ptarmigan?

Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Has anyone hunted ptarmigan?

I would like to go ptarmigan hunting in Newfoundland some time after two other scheduled hunts are over. Can anyone give me some info. as to the ptarmigan population in Newfoundland. How do they taste? Are there better places to hunt ptarmigan?

Thanks,

Shotgunbilly

SUPPORT THE NRA
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone hunted ptarmigan?

We got to hunt them on a Caribou hunt in Quebec, they taste Great..We seen alot of them and they are a really nice looking bird, fast flyers, like a giant quail..
Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: shotgunbilly

I would like to go ptarmigan hunting in Newfoundland some time after two other scheduled hunts are over. Can anyone give me some info. as to the ptarmigan population in Newfoundland. How do they taste? Are there better places to hunt ptarmigan?

Thanks,

Shotgunbilly

SUPPORT THE NRA
I used to go to Newfoundland alot and all I know is I saw tons of those birds every day. I was moose hunting. But the guides would try to kill onethrowing aflat stone and brought one home every now and then.

But I was thinking the same thing when I see them. I wouldn't mind to go back and hunt some.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 PM

HunterOpel:

Do you need a dog to hunt them?

Shotgunbilly
Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure if this will work but here is a try for you. I hope this helps you out with your questions.

http://www.newfoundlandhunting.com/upland_game_bird_hunting.htm
Old 03-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

We didnt, they were everywhere, lots of them...almost any bush you could find had them around it..
Old 03-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the input gents. It always helps me to hear first hand experiences from guys that have already been to the places I am thinking of going. Phil from Maine: Ironbound has a nice website. They seem to have a good reference on them on huntinginfo.com.
I have also considered a caribou hunt either in northern Quebec or Newfoundland. I don't know if I would have a better chance at bagging a woodland in Newfoundland or a barren ground in Quebec.I can tell you one thing that turns me off are the incredible prices of these hunts. I am a member of the working class and I don't mind spending two or three thousand for a hunt but these caribou hunts at around five thousand or more are outrageous. Does anyone else out there feel the same way?
This is the reason I have been considering the ptarmigan hunt. It will get me to hunt Newfoundland without the huge price tag.(not to mention the cost to bring some caribou meat and possibly a rack back on Air Canada)

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or am I alone on this thinking?

Shotgunbilly
From MOOSE COUNTRY
Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

You just have to save up, we saved up for 2 years for our caribou hunt, just wanted to do it once..I have been saving for a Yukon Moose hunt for 3 years now and will get to go this year, I think most of us on here are from the working class, so we all know what you are talking about, hunts get more expensive every year..
Old 03-15-2007, 05:06 PM

HunterOpel:

A Yukon moose hunt sounds like the ultimate hunting experience.We have lots of moose in Maine but the moose tags are a lottery draw. I drew one in 1997. I shot a 1000 lb. bull with a nice rack.I shot it with a 3006.I do not bow hunt. In Maine the shooting of the moose is not a challenging as whitetail hunting in some ways. The challenge comes in the form of getting that monster ot of the woods.I live about 3 hours from good moose territory. I have always wanted to go to the Yukon or NWT. Maybe someday. When you return from your trip I hope you will post some details.Whether you are successful or not it is sure to be a fantastic experience! It is a great sport.

shotgunbilly

NEVER GIVE AN INCH TO THE ANTIS
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted them in AK, they are dumb, all you need is a 4 ft stick.

Quick Reply: Has anyone hunted ptarmigan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.