Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

pump or double barrell

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM

Default pump or double barrell

im a daily grouse hunter and im looking at buying a new gun it needs to be light wat would u guy suggest a side by side over under or a pump
Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: pump or double barrell

Depends on what fits you and feels good to you....weight, balance andaction type. I used to hunt with nothing but a pump and then graduated to an O/U. When I first started with an O/U I would find myself trying to shuck the forearm for the second shot. Because you're a grouse hunter, you probably don't need to worry about that third shot so if you're considering a pump for that reason and only that reason then you need to reconsider.

It's been said on here many times before...go to a store and try out as many guns as you can lay your hands on. Find the one that fits and is in your budget and buy it.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Fork Horn

I've used all three and two of the best grouse gun's were an old Browning double auto with a 24" skeet barrel and a Rem 870 special field with the barrel bored out to skeet. For the past 20 yrs or so I've beenshooting SxS's, mostly 16 ga. I have a Browning O/U 20 ga but don't care for it that much so my son uses it.

The best grouse gun reguardless of action should point better than it swings as opposed to an open field gun that really needs to swing well. All the grouse I've hunted get up and into the trees fast and you need to get on them and shoot. You don't have a lot of time to worry about much follow thru.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

With any shotgun that loads from the bottom, I place 3 shells between my fingers on myforend hand and as I shoot, I shove one in with my thumb. States that require shotguns to beplugged to 3 shells like FL, I shoot 6 in seconds, especially when Quail,Dove or Duckshooting!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:52 AM

i use a pump but i really don't like it for bird hunting or skeet. i would def. go w/an over under or side by side or even an auto. it's just annoying to have to pump the gun every time u need a follow up shot.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM

I like the feel of the over/unders ten times as much as pumps. I would say to get one if it's in your budget. look at the Stoeger Condor. Great gun!!! Pumps are reliable and good guns as well. Try out the BPS and 870 and any guns you can get your hands on. Buy whichever suits you best. All will down birds.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

I will O/U every time!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:52 PM

pump all the way. that extra shell is always good and i pump out all three in 3-4 seconds which adds tons off fun
Old 02-27-2007, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

I grew up in Michigan hunting grouse and woodcock I started with a hand me down 16 gauge SxS LaFever. Then went to a pump gun because I didnthave much money to fix my sxs after I messed up the barrles(long story) Anyway I moved and got heavy into duck hunting and went with a benneli nova. Great duck gun but sucks chaseing grouse( to long) I think a sparta by remington in SXS or O/U is all a guy needs to have a sturdy great grouse gun if you got extra cash check out the CZ O/uor SXS Im getting a SXS myself. from one of these manufactures.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Spike

You didn't mention gauge, budget or brand preference. So here are my thoughts. The Italian manufacturers - Beretta, Guerini, B. Rizzini, & FAIR make some beautiful guns that are rock solid, light, and wonderfully balanced. Your price range is starting at around $1,400 and can go as high as you like. I have a B. Rizzini in 20 gauge with and english stock and 28" barrels. It is a dream to carry at just over 6#and use it mainly in the early season, and on longer hunts.

Both Remington and Browning make (or made) and upland pump. Short barrel (24"?) with an english stock. Very nice guns if you like pumps, but they are both kind of heavy.

For late season grouse, I personally use a Ruger Red Label with an english stock and 26" barrels. It weighs in at just under 7.5#. I don't believe that Ruger is producing them (english stock)in 12 gauge any more, but the used market for these guns is definitely in the buyers favor. (I got mine used in good condition for $625)

Other than that, the skys the limit. There are o/u, pumps, and SxS's at the $300 range. They won't be as light, refined or balanced, but allshould go bang every timeyou pull thetrigger.

Quick Reply: pump or double barrell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.