HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Shotgun for Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/173932-shotgun-bird-hunting.html)

ryangrouse 01-06-2007 09:12 PM

Shotgun for Bird Hunting

I am trying to get some input on various shotguns. I am looking at purchasing an over/under shotgun for bird hunting, mainly ruffed grouse with occasional pheasant hunting. I want a gun that is light, looking at something with 26 inch barrels, 12 gauge, 2 3/4 and 3 inch. I have been leaning towards the Franchi Renaissance Classic, which comes in a around six pounds. This is the lightest 12 gauge I can find. I have also looked at Brownings Citori line, and the Ruger Red Labels. If you have any other brand of shotgun that would fit this bill, I would appreciate any input. I don't want to spend a fortune on the gun so if you could keep that in mind, I would like everyone's input on over/unders they use, shot, wish they had, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

sproulman 01-07-2007 05:00 PM

RE: Shotgun for Bird Hunting

i am beretta guy,but i like semi-auto uricka field ..try www.shotgunworld.com under forums for the gun you like..i am a big 12 gauge fan,most of the bird hunters you see will use 20ga..

i wanted a gun that could be used for everything and still not weight a ton..i found it, BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA. it weights 6.5 pds..the 20 ga weights 6 pounds and feels like feather..

i like 28 inch barrel over 26 inch,even in brush but over/unders are different on what barrel is best..

sorry i got off track, i do that at times..

GSPsnFORDs 01-10-2007 10:03 PM

I have a Browning Citori Feather, 20 ga., 26in barrels, weighs 6lbs 3oz. It's great upland gun and shoots 3" shells as well.

A light weight Browning that I know of is the Citori Feather Upland, 12ga., 2.75" shells only, and weighs about the same as my 20 ga. I believe this model has the straight English grip, Schnabel forarm and 24" barrels though.

Keep in mind that you will pay a good price for a Browning. If you go that route and don't want to spend much money, try to find a used one.

Also, keep in mind, the barrel length. I love the 26" for hunting, but my competition gun has 28" barrels and the 28" barrels swing nicely but will add a few more ounces!!! Try some out before you make a purchase!

Ruddyduck 01-11-2007 07:09 AM

There are alot of good choices out there. I own Browning O/U's and love them because they are what fit and feel good to ME. But there is nothing wrong with Beretta. They are dandy guns also. Being you are thinking about just a gun for birds I'd alsothink the Franchi Renaisance is a top choice. IMHO they just might be the best O/U one can buy new for the money. The field model can be had under $1000. They are lightweight,well made and a bargan IMHO.

Rebel Hog 01-11-2007 07:57 AM

Franchi 48 AL

Franchi 720

Franchi 912

Franchi I-12 & I-12 Limited

Franchi Parts and Accessories

Franchi 712 & 720 Raptor

Franchi Renaissance

Franchi Shotguns

Franchi Veloce

sproulman 01-11-2007 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

I have a Browning Citori Feather, 20 ga., 26in barrels, weighs 6lbs 3oz. It's great upland gun and shoots 3" shells as well.

A light weight Browning that I know of is the Citori Feather Upland, 12ga., 2.75" shells only, and weighs about the same as my 20 ga. I believe this model has the straight English grip, Schnabel forarm and 24" barrels though.

Keep in mind that you will pay a good price for a Browning. If you go that route and don't want to spend much money, try to find a used one.

Also, keep in mind, the barrel length. I love the 26" for hunting, but my competition gun has 28" barrels and the 28" barrels swing nicely but will add a few more ounces!!! Try some out before you make a purchase!
you are right on..12 ga are getting LIGHTER.BERETTA uricka i have is 6.5 pds.20 ga is 6 pds..i really liked the 20 ga but just 5 oz.s more, i got the 12 ga..

the smaller barrel size is real nice on 20 ga also.

the 12 ga swings better than the 20 ga,in my opinion..

28 inch barrels ARE better than 26 inch on swing balance..most use 26 inch for hunting because they feel they swing faster..thats true but they dont BALANCE as nice as 28 inch barrel..think about it, 28 is only 2 inchs longer and you will not notice weight of 2 inchs on barrel..

in the thickest brush i can still swing that 28 inch barrel at fast grouse..

if you are small in arms or height, 26 inch MAY be better but from what i see,the 28 inch is way to go..

also 12 ga. shells are CHEAPER..3 inch 20 ga are not..i use winchester aa low brass 7 and 1/2 shot on grouse..you can get remington shells 12 ga for under 3 dollars a box..the SHOT is harder on the AA shells..so, you pay over 4 dollars a box..

i was on our shotgun world site and most hunters liked the 26 inch barrels over the 28 inch..i was one that disagreed with that..no bird is that fast that 2 inchs on barrel will matter, in my opinion..grouse here in pa are fastest bird in heavy cover that i have ever hunted..

secret is to be READY..barrel up in air at eyes length.

go into you gun shop ,i like dicks and gander mtn..

pull up the gun you like and SWING it at stuffed birds on wall..you will see that the 26 inch barrel is light and quickBUT notice you will swing right thru bird..then try 28 inch barrel in the same gun and you will notice nice smooth swing thru bird..thats barrel you want..

most of the 26 inch or 24 inch on semi-guns is for POINTING..if you are in brush, they point faster but how fast??

i have yet to see a bird that needs a barrel length that fast..i love semi as you dont get recoil you do with other guns..i can shoot my berettta uricka field with t shirt on and no sore shoulder..

yes, browning are nice, faranchi, benelli, but in my opinion, the best i had is the BERETTA URICKA FIELD..again, here is our site, you can read all about any shotgun and tests etc..eneter your shotgun name under search..www.shotgunworld.com

CharlieO 01-11-2007 08:01 PM

i use a skb 20 over under bui have kill more grouse with my 410.

camelcluch 01-12-2007 08:12 PM

Beretta all the way!! The Onyx is a great gun and light. For O/U it's the only way to go.

yatesm 01-18-2007 09:42 PM

i purchased a winchester 1300 12ga speed pump this year and i love the gun for bird hunting

outdoorslover 01-19-2007 05:51 PM

You can't go wronng with any of those mentioned