Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Black birds-Great Target Practice >

Black birds-Great Target Practice

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Black birds-Great Target Practice

Old 12-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default Black birds-Great Target Practice

In the off-season me and my buddies "hunt" black birdsto keep are shooting skills up year round. My one buddy has 150-200 cardboard cut-out decoys we use. May sound crazy but it's a blast and great practice. Good way to shoot somethingmore realisticthan clay pigeons.

Take some left over cardboard, draw the shape of abird about the size of black bird (don't take much timedoing that doesn't have tobe neat) then cut it out, spraypaint black and use some old wire (we use small pieces of wire clotheshangers), slide in the cardboard and you're ready to go.

When finishedblasting some blackbirds,bury'em or leave'em for the critters to eat. There not good for anything, just annoying andcrap everywhere, moreof a nusense.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Black birds-Great Target Practice

haha that is exactly what I do to tune my skills a little....I never thought about decoys....does this actually work or are you yanking my chain here?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: StealthHtr22

In the off-season me and my buddies "hunt" black birdsto keep are shooting skills up year round. My one buddy has 150-200 cardboard cut-out decoys we use. May sound crazy but it's a blast and great practice. Good way to shoot somethingmore realisticthan clay pigeons.

Take some left over cardboard, draw the shape of abird about the size of black bird (don't take much timedoing that doesn't have tobe neat) then cut it out, spraypaint black and use some old wire (we use small pieces of wire clotheshangers), slide in the cardboard and you're ready to go.

When finishedblasting some blackbirds,bury'em or leave'em for the critters to eat. There not good for anything, just annoying andcrap everywhere, moreof a nusense.
StealthHtr22,

If you are classifying Starlings as Blackbirdshttp://www.birds.cornell.edu/BOW/EURSTA/images/eurstarmcq.GIF then that is fine. If you are talking about Grackels, http://65.214.37.88/ts?t=9715412615417516868 then they are protected. You cannot shoot this blackbird, known as Grackles.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Can you show me that in documentation? Cause I don't believe that one bit. Give me some proof please. I don't want to be killing a bird that is protected, but I don't believe it is. At least not in IN. I'm still lookingon the DNR website to find outif they are, but have come up empty.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Spike

Can you show me that in documentation? Cause I don't believe that one bit. Give me some proof please. I don't want to be killing a bird that is protected, but I don't believe it is. At least not in IN. I'm still lookingon the DNR website to find outif they are, but have come up empty.
StealthHtr22,

You didn't state which bird. Was it the Starling or Grackle?

As stated, it it is the Grackle, it is listed as a migratory bird and protected under the USFW.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/intrnltr/mbta/mbtandx.html#g

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be honest, I'veshot both. They come in thousands around here, in migratoryflocks as far as you can see this time of year.

I saw the webpage/document you posted and saw the grackle was listed.Gladyou informed me ofthis and were able to prove to me cause I probably wouldn't havebelieved you otherwise. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm going to contact my local Conservation Officer and see what he says.

Thanks again. Happy Hunting.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Spike

I'll be honest, I'veshot both. They come in thousands around here, in migratoryflocks as far as you can see this time of year.

I saw the webpage/document you posted and saw the grackle was listed.Gladyou informed me ofthis and were able to prove to me cause I probably wouldn't havebelieved you otherwise. Thanks for letting me know.

I'm going to contact my local Conservation Officer and see what he says.

Thanks again. Happy Hunting.
No problem, I think that the only way to legally shoot them, you would have to be issued a depredation permit if the birds were destroying your grain fields.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 PM

X-Liny is correct. The Grackle is protected under the migratory bird treaty act (Federal Law). It is a migratory bird most song birds are protected by this treaty due to the fact that they migrate.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:29 PM

Ilove blowing them away with my pellet gun. I shoot the unprotected grackles. They're tons of fun. I decoy crows but I can't see decoying grackles.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

Decoying grackles is a blast when they come in, in huge flocks.

And yes, Italked to the C.O. and he told me the stipulations. I'm good to go now!

Quick Reply: Black birds-Great Target Practice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.