Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Training a pointer

Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Training a pointer

I have a 14 week old Weimaraner and would like to train her to point, I will be using her to hunt pheasant and quail. Where I live now I don't have anywhere to take her to get her in the field to work with her. I will be moving to KS this winter and will be hunting w/ her next year hopefully. I have the whole month of December off work so I have plenty of time to get her started but will have to be something I can do at the house and w/out an actual bird. I am new to this and can't afford to pay someone to train her so hepefully I can get enough advice and help from here to get her going. Thank you.
Brandon
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default RE: Training a pointer

oddly enough, my buddy trained his pointer with a fishing poll. In or out of the house, tie a pheasant wind to the end of a pole and old it in front of the dog and dont let him move. Then move to letting the dog walkl up to the wing on his own, but if he doesnt stop and point and tries to get it, pull the wing away and tell him NO.

Its a good way to teach them the basics of pointing, not being able to get it. Then we moved on to pigeons. You can catch them or buy them. Spin them around and they will get dizzy, then set them in some cover. they wont fly untill you flush them cause they are dissoreinted (sp?)

Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, the first thing is, for it not to be Gun Shy and then comes Obedience. With mostbreedsof the pointing family, pointing comes natural.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I know she knows how to point as every once in a while when I take her out to walk her and use the bathroom, she will point at her poo once she finds a pile! Not exactly what I want her to to point at but it is pointing none the less. As for gun shyness, what do you all do other than shoot around her? Will small firecrackers work such as blackcats or something? Thanks fellas, keep em coming, open to any ideas. Also, does anyone know where I can get a pheasant wing if I don't have access to birds right now? Someone on here have some they have kept and would be will to get rid of one?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Now that's funny!! Try looking into some of the books and dvd's. They will give you a plan and idea of what you want to get done. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:13 PM

"Best way to train a bird dog:delmar smith method" by bill tarrant.. buy it.. read it cover to cover
Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

"Best way to train a bird dog:delmar smith method" by bill tarrant.. buy it.. read it cover to cover
Thanks, I'll try and find that this weekend.
Brandon
Old 11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

[quote][ As for gun shyness, what do you all do other than shoot around her? Will small firecrackers work such as blackcats or something? /quote]

I would advise not to use this stuff until she is on birds for a little while. You have to be carefull getting your dog use to noises and I find it best while they are on the birds. I think with the excitement of it all they tend to ingnore the noise more. Good Luck!

PM me your mailing add and I will send you a wing, I have a pen full of them I use in training.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did the old wing on a pole trick with my old gps (sure miss that dog) I made the mistake of telling him to stop when he was trying to point so i had to re-teach him that he needs to point on his own, not me telling him. My ex was trying to help so i think it confused him more on that command. After awhile he got the idea. I would take him down to an dry river bank with lots of quail (can't hunt there, go figure) so i thought it might be an good idea for him to try out his new skills. He did his first point and he was happy as i was
Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM

You cannot train a pointing dog without real birds...it is impossible. The only thing that teaches a pointer how to handle and point birds is birds. Don't worry about it for now, wait until you get her on birds, when she gets birdy don't say anything, let her bump them. Soon she will start to point (it is genetic, NOT trained). Once she holds her point and lets you flush the birds kill them. Don't shoot bird she does not point.

It is really that simple. Let nature and instinct do its thing.

Quick Reply: Training a pointer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.