Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get? >

What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:23 PM

Default RE: What's a good, inexpensive field gun I can get?

ORIGINAL: Pickerel

Hmm, I read a review on the Stevens 411 and that sounds pretty nice....
I have one and use it all the time, upland and waterfowl- great gun for the money.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: laufer303

ORIGINAL: Pickerel

Hmm, I read a review on the Stevens 411 and that sounds pretty nice....
I have one and use it all the time, upland and waterfowl- great gun for the money.
if you are young and plan on hunting for 40 /50 years, i would borrow money from dad or save it and buy nothing but a BERETTA..value of this gun keeps going up..dicks has great sales on this gun after christmas , around feb or march..

i sold 5 of my shotguns and bought a BERETTA URICKA FIELD..we go out and buy cars for 25,000,what do we have after 5 years??8,000 dollar car..

you buy beretta shotgun and after 5 years, it will be worth 100 dollars or more than you paid..you could sell your bertta for what you paid for it..

they are one sweet handling gun, better than benilli..you can read all about this gun on our forum on SHOTGUN WORLD,under topic, beretta shotguns..

this is what i would do.. those other shotguns will break over time and parts are hard to come buy..remigton is only other area i will go to because of parts but their shotguns are HEAVY..

my beretta 12 ga semi feels like a 20 ga remigton..take care..
Old 11-08-2006, 03:02 PM

My friend has an 870, 1100, and a Beretta semi-auto. The Beretta looks like a nice gun, but I doubt I'd have money for a higher class one soon. Basically during spring break when I go home I should finally have my firearms purchaser's card, and I intend to get a centerfire rifle, a shotgun, and the equipment I need to get started like cleaning stuff, a small gun safe, and whatnot. Then over spring break and the summer I intend to practice with these guns as much as I can so when I get an apartment off-campus next year I won't have to go out and buy much meat.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:22 PM

Baikals are terrible I have two friends who bought them. Both of them have had major problems. They got new guns. One got an Rem 870, the other got a Rem 1100 used. I have an 870 it is great. You could get a slug barrel for it as well.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I would check out the Spartan 310 by remington. I got a 12ga. model of this gun. Its a good over and under and its a great all around gun. I've used it for everything from waterfowl and turkey to spirrels, quail, and pheasant. i think it runs around $400 at dicks sporting goods.

here's the page http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/SPR_models/
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Volf

In my openion, stay away from Condor. I bought one 2 years ago Condor Supreme (nice wood and good fit). After 10 boxes of shells it stop fireing. It failed on me duaring hunt and my dog ran into wired fence chasing the bird (short huntand vet bill). Took it back to the store (it took them 6 month get the part and fx it). The next day I got it back, I went trap shooting(I gave it 2nd chance), 2 more boxes and it's out again (same isssue). Maybe I got a lemon.... Well I end up buying used Browing Lightning... I was looking for inexpansive O/U like you. It might sound strange, but I have one gun (beretta ES100) semi-auto dedicated to steel shots/waterfowl and o/u for pheasents. There is a list of O/U that I was looking at : Fausti, Baikal (spartans), Veronas and Franchi Falcone(Last two I think somewhere $599-800 )
You may have just got a bad one... A buddy of mine that hunts a lot has a 20ga condor that is treated like crap (cleaned once or twice a year, lots of hunting in bad weater) that has had several thousand rounds through it with no problems. His is the cheaper model, but it shoots just as reliably as the 870's his dad and I use.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: WalkSoft

Baikals are terrible I have two friends who bought them. Both of them have had major problems. They got new guns. One got an Rem 870, the other got a Rem 1100 used. I have an 870 it is great. You could get a slug barrel for it as well.
Baikals are much better than Remington pump shotguns, they have much better steel abd are built more solid than Remington. That is the reason why Remington bought tons og Baikal guns, and theyare being sold as Spartans in our frienldy neighborhoodgun stores. For under 500 field grade O/U or SxS you can not find anything better than Baikal.
Anti-Russian sentiments should not be a factor when shopping for a good field grade shotgun.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 AM

Ivouch for the Stoeger. I own a Model 2000 and love it. My best friend owns a Stoeger Condor and loves it. Both are very reliable and were acquired for a great price. I would say to get the Condor for birds and trap shooting and the Model 2000 for slugs. Otherwise the Model 2000 is versatile for both and you can get it in a combo. My gun is just as reliable as most any semi auto and is an awesome pheasant gun. Hope you pick the right one. Good luck