Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Hunting pheasant without dogs >

Hunting pheasant without dogs

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Hunting pheasant without dogs

Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Hunting pheasant without dogs

I was curious what is the best method to go about hunting pheasant without dogs. My brother and I have just started hunting them this season and have not had anyluck. So far we have just realy tried walking around trying to spook them but I think this is about as effective as trying to paddle a canoe with my hands. SO I Was curious if any of yall had and success with out dogs. Thanks alot and have a great day.

Lawrence
catfish on a trot line, moon light on a duck blind. Sunets around 9 this time of year.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Hunting pheasant without dogs

depends on what you're hunting, sloughs, crp, harvested fields. before i had a dog me and a buddy would hunt slough edges, crp, or tall grasses close to corn fields, if there is grain fields nearby they usually keep pretty close to them and not to far from gravel, which they need for digestion. as far as scaring them up, pause quite a bit while walking, it makes them nervous and they'll flush
Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 AM

Weezer is right on about hunting the edges. Also try some overgrown fence lines, these are excellent when the temp drops. When you get to the end of your walk stop about 20 ft from the edge and take a few minutes to talk with your buddies, this is a good way to make roosters nervous and to flush. In my experience you will spend a lot of time walking w/o dogs, but it will pay off. Invest in a good pair of boots and don't give up.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 PM

Keep your eyes on the ground. I hunted for a couple of years without a dog and did o.k. Every now and then you will see a bird that you would have walked over. Like the other fellas said if you think there is a bird in the area stop. It makes them nervous and possibly flush.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted pheasant for years with out a dog. Try walking zig-zag, not a straight line. It help close the distance if there are not enough people to cover the field. Then, I would go get a dog! Much easier and tons of fun.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Some very good recommendations already posted. I did a little pheasant hunting and quite a bit of duck hunting on ponds without a dog. I then bought a lab from a strong field trial line, primarily for duck hunting. Shis 6 y.o. now and we now primarily pheasant hunt.

To be honest, if I didn't have a dog now, I just wouldn't go. The dog is about 25% of the enjoyment I have being out there. Being out there with my son is 75% of the enjoyment. If my son wasn't in the picture, the dog would be about 95% of the enjoyment.

I'm not saying don't hunt if you don't have a dog. We all have to start somewhere. Also, don't get the dog unless you have the time, energy, finances and whatever else to raise that dog right.

Best of luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Cascadedad. Except I find that hunting with my dog (Yllw Lab) to be 50% of the fun to see her work fields, willows, sloughs (when frozen) and then to chase down if needed a bird that still has legs and clipped.

It depends upon the time of day, the weather and other conditions like precipitation. Warm sunny days early in the season, we'll see birds out near edges of roads and fields picking grit and sunning themselves to dry their feathers.
Cold weather, with snow, we work heavier cover like frozen sloughs, brush. Mid day they are usually out feeding in picked grain fields and tough to hunt. If you know of fields where they are likely to rooster for the night sit in your vehicle so you can see the fields they are likely feeding in and the areas they'll roost in. Watch where they fly to the last couple hours or less of daylight then go walk the field or cover working into the wind. Their less likely to hear you before you're in range.
I'd still recommend doing what you can to get at least 1 good dog with a good nose between you. It'll make the whole experience that much richer. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks alot for the advices, We'll sure give it a shot next time. I'd love to get a dog but both my brother and I our living in college dorms so the dog is not an option.We were hunting tall grass along an open field on a hill and we could here movement a couple times but did not see any. The location looked ideal to what I have seen in the vids and pics so I think we were just chasing them in circles. Ill mos def try out your advise and hopeful have some pics to post next time.
Lawrence
Happy hunting
Old 10-16-2006, 08:23 PM

If you have a small enough spot that you think is holding birds try using a blocker. Have someone waiting down at the end of the run. Obviously, safety is the top priority...
Old 10-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Handsofiron

I was curious what is the best method to go about hunting pheasant without dogs. My brother and I have just started hunting them this season and have not had anyluck. So far we have just realy tried walking around trying to spook them but I think this is about as effective as trying to paddle a canoe with my hands. SO I Was curious if any of yall had and success with out dogs. Thanks alot and have a great day.

Lawrence
catfish on a trot line, moon light on a duck blind. Sunets around 9 this time of year.
i had to think back over years and best hunting dog was ME..yes,ole sproulman..i flushed more and still today even with dogs we use, i flush just as many..

once birds get wild, its hard to hunt them EVEN with dog..by yourself, its hard..if you have buddy the best way is to have him go out 100 yards, then you walk thru grass or along brush and hope bird will fly towards him..i found that a lot of birds will fly up hill when spooked,dont ask why..

so, put him at top of field and you walk up from bottom..i also keep a whistle around my neck,if pheasant flushes and i cant get shot, i blow whistle once..you would not believe birds we got because i blew that whistle to my buddys that pheasant was coming..

thats the only way i can see you can get bird even with dogs..i just saw a couple pheasants missed on friday at sgl252 because 2 hunters with dogs were hunting accross from each other..

thats no good after birds get shot at few times..its better to post someone out in front,dog or no dog..

for safety, always know where your buddys is when you shoot..i always get behind something when i am the one that is posted,like high corn stalks ot tree or brush..just for safety..

Quick Reply: Hunting pheasant without dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.