HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Blue/Dusky Grouse (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/156824-blue-dusky-grouse.html)

spuddog 09-18-2006 12:54 PM

Blue/Dusky Grouse

Last deer season in unit 181 in CO, N of Kremmling. I had a Blue walk into camp and it ended up in my pot. My buddies and I also stired up a few while looking for deer.

This past weekend my son and I went up to hunt some and scout for deer. We didn't see a darn thing. We hunted down low (where I shot one last year) in the Aspens and then up high where the mountain tops out and it transitions to aspen and spruce. It was a bad weather day and we had intermitten snow.

Any ideas why I might not have seen any? Was it just the weather. This was my first time going for them intentionally and I was wondering if I did something wrong.

sffguitar 09-18-2006 03:39 PM

RE: Blue/Dusky Grouse

Ive only been hunting grouse for a couple years....but from my expierance when it gets real hot the grouse like to get under shade or cover...and when its hotter, they usaully like to come out later in the evening instead of in the morning. I dont know if it was real hot where you were but if it was then this could be one of the reasons.

spuddog 09-18-2006 05:08 PM

It was snowing off and on. We were at 8000 + feet elevation.

Spud

sffguitar 09-18-2006 08:18 PM

well then......nvm hah.

rick odonnell 09-18-2006 09:13 PM

whats up guys i just moved to washington state (bellevue) area and i am looking for a place to bird hunt around here and would not mind finding some new hunting buddy's you you know of any you can get hold of me here or e-mail at [email protected]

NEBHNTR 09-19-2006 01:52 AM

We were out by Meeker last elk season and a turkeysizedbird. We asked a couple of guys and they said they were mountain chickens? Anyone know of them?

BrutalAttack 09-19-2006 03:55 AM

ORIGINAL: NEBHNTR

We were out by Meeker last elk season and a turkeysizedbird. We asked a couple of guys and they said they were mountain chickens? Anyone know of them?
Lol. Mountian chickens huh? Did you also see a jackalope running around? ;)

Seriously, it was likely a turkey. There is only one turkey sized ground nesting bird in north america...and that is a turkey.

The next smallest bird would be a grouse, likely blue grouse.

Don't let people pull your leg man.

NEBHNTR 09-19-2006 04:45 AM

:D

rick odonnell 09-19-2006 06:09 PM

thanks guys for the help

moosehunter21 10-14-2006 05:12 PM

I wanna hunt a "MOUNTAIN CHICKEN"

LOL that is funny.