Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Best choke over dogs

Old 09-16-2006, 07:36 AM

Default Best choke over dogs

What choke is best when shooting over dogs? Grouse is the target.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best choke over dogs

I like using modified cylinder
Old 09-16-2006, 06:54 PM

So maybe the first shot is with modified and second with IC??? I'm just thinking that the dog points/crawls, and then the bird flushes...and you take your first shot closer to the dog than the 2nd shot???
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

I'venever hunted grouse before.....mostly a quail hunter. But it is my understanding that grouse hold tight and are in more dense woods (and treelines?) than quail. In this situation, an IC for your first shot and maybe a modified for your second. When I'm quail hunting I typically use an IC and a modified. BUT I have been known to use a Skeet and a modified as well and in my honest opinion I really think this is a great combination for quail. It might work for grouse.....if what I hear about them being in tight cover and holding tight is true. Just my $.02
Old 09-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Spike

I agree. I like IC for my first shot and something a little tighter for a follow up in case it's needed, say a Modified.

I hunt over a German Wirehair pointer, and have had great success with that combo, no matter what type of birds I'm hunting. If I was shooting a semi or a pump, I'd probably opt for a Light Modified, this will give you a little of both.

Good Luck
Old 09-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here grouse will more commonly run and flush rather quickly. Later in the season they are more apt to hold as the weather becomes colder. So your first shot counts as in a lot of cases this will be the only shot you get. But it depends what kind of cover you are hunting in. If you are hunting around a field with apple trees you would more than likely get a couple of shots off. But it you are hunting in some of the cuttings you may be able to get a couple of shots off. But, I wouldn't count on it, the way they weave between the trees makes it a challenge. So for me I still like the modified choke the best, as, the early part of the season can be very challenging.