HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/141539-preferred-gun-shot-gauge-pheasant.html)

TexasBirdHunter 05-04-2006 02:40 AM

Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

I am brand spanking new to the field of Upland Hunting. I am a duck hunter. I am going to SD this Fall for some Pheasant Hunting...and a had a couple of questions. I am looking to purchase a new gun.....mostly for my own personal satisfaction, and then also to take out into the field. Does anyone have a good suggestion?? Browning 525, Beretta Silver Pigeon...etc? What is the preferred gauge 12 or20....preferred Ammo and make. I have heard a lot about the 3" #6 by Fiochi for a 20 ga. Also...what are the preferred chokes for the O/U barrels. Thanks soooo much for all the insight that anyone can give.

Just Learning in Texas.....

Guss 05-04-2006 07:05 AM

RE: Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

For me it has to be a 12 OU, do I have one, no. I wish I did but that is just way out of my price range, someday.

As far as wild birds go I think the 12 is king, cant go wrong with it. I have hunted them with a 20 and done well but it is nice to have that extra kick when they get way out, not that I hit them when they are way out.

shoot size???? I would have to say 5 or 6, and by the end of the season when birds get crazy maybe 4. I like Fedrals and Rem long range shells. I have used the 3in Fiochisand they worked but not any better then anything else.

As far as Guns go the only ones I dont like are the Bronwings, made in JAPAN junk, should change thre name to Browningson. Had a A bolt and hated the thing, sold it fast. You can get a real nice Italin or American gun forthe price ofa Browning.(less and less guns mad in this country). Dont mean to make anyone mad who likes Brownings, just my 2 cents.

As far a chokes go I would say mod/full on OU. I alwas just use a Mod (only one barel on my gun).

Good luck, it is alot of fun.

slugman 05-04-2006 07:40 AM

I currently use a Berretta BL-4 in 20ga. Takes 3" shells, which is usually what I use with #5 shot. Knocks em down !

slugman 05-04-2006 07:41 AM

Its an o/u with full & mod

Mite 05-04-2006 07:56 AM

Browning and Berretta are good choices. Personally, I shoot a SKB because I grew up shooting one. BTW,the A bolthas killed alot of birds in its history. Miroku makes quality firearms, Browning, SKB, Weatherby, IMO but any O/U priced around 1k or over is matter of personal prefernce not a question of quality. Fit should be more important.

With pheasants, 12 ga. would more than suffice but alot of people shoot 20ga. I chose 20ga. Either choice is fine. Remeber, 20ga guns are usually lighter than an equivalent 12ga.Shot selection is also critical (shooting a long distance with a broke dog you may just cripple it. Shooting over a dog that's steady to wing make sure bird is clear and not endangering the dog). Chokes, I use IC/mod but have a full choke tube handy if the birds are skittish.

As to ammo, it larges depends upon steel vs. lead. #6 lead (or #4 steel) is a good shotsize.7/8 - 1 oz. 2 3/4". Buy game loads.

A good practice for pheasants is the skeet field. Find an old timer to give you tips with follow through, etc. They are usually more than happy to help out.

slugman 05-04-2006 08:03 AM

Find an old timer to give you tips with follow through, etc.
Butt, beak , BAMM ! Follow through is essential with flying critters. A 20ga with 3" shells is damn close to a 12ga shell. Plus its alot easier carrying a 20ga in the field all day.

Guss 05-04-2006 12:13 PM

Mite sorry, i said aA bolt, that is a long gun, not a shoot gun (I ownd the Abolt). Thanks for reminding me,I forgot all about the Browning A5, it is a vary nice shoot gun and I would hunt with one any day, that is all my Grapsused.I just dontsee the point to spend that much mony on a gunnot made byan Amarican or Italian.

Mite 05-04-2006 09:40 PM

Guss, I thought you meant the A5. It was pretty late and I knew the rifle was the A bolt but recalled the auto shotgun Browning made also had an A-something. I believe those were made in Belgium. Miroku did make Brownings in the 80's I believe. But as to quality of Japanese shotguns, they do stand up to anything American made. It's the cheap importsfrom American manufacturers (Spartan, Condor, etc.) I would stay away from. Italian made shotguns are a hit and miss. There are some fine manufacturers which you'll spend your kids college education for and then there are those old great grandfather to father to son operations. Then there are those great manufacturers that are turning out shotguns by the dozen to flood the market. Fausti comes to mind.

Rebel Hog 05-05-2006 12:55 PM

Shot many Quail, Doves, Ducks and Turkeys with Winchester Mod.12, FN Browning A-5 and Remington 1100 for many years. Of course, different loads for different purposes. For Quail and Turkeys,I like a barrel of 21-24", for Ducks I like 28-30" barrels.

laufer303 05-06-2006 05:36 PM

12ga SxS, #5, 7/8 - 1 oz. 2 3/4".