Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant??? >

Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Old 02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Preferred Gun, Shot, and Gauge for Pheasant???

Ishoot a Rem 11-87 12 ga. with a 26" light contour barrel and synth stock. The shorter LCbarrel and synth stock make it lighter andbetter balanced than factory. Also installed a SVL slip on recoil pad to extend the length of pull by an inch. Thatmade thegun fitme much better.I don't miss high hardly at allanymore because my cheek is further back on the stock. I love the auto for fast shooting and multiple flushes and 12 ga for range of available shells in both lead and steel. I shoot 7/8 oz 7 1/2's @1350 fps early season(IC choke), low brass 1 oz #6 and 1 1/4 oz steel #3 later on in the year(Mod. choke).The cheap #6opens up fast andthe steel holds great long range patterns. Ballistically,fast #3 steel equates to fast #5 lead and Idon'tseemanydisputingthe stopping power offast #5 lead. I will even use #2steel if batting cleanup behind other shooters. That dropsthem at really long range and solvesany anti-lead issues. In conclusion....the guns, chokes,and loads improve your chances of success but not nearly likeseveralrounds of sporting clays will.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:06 PM
BKC

I love my Browning 20g O/U have had it fo 25 years and it looks brand new I use #4 maybe a bit much but it knocks them down
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

I love my SBE II 12 ga. I wouldn't even consider going back to a 20 for pheasants. To many wounded birds. Plus the Benelli is like 7.3 lbs. Lighter than most semi auto 20's. Maybe in SD I would think about it if thats all I had, but birds are a lot harder to come by in MN where I hunt. I just see no reason to use the 20. You get a lot more hard kills at range with the 12. I prefer 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz #4. Copper plated, buffered if I can afford them, but since I didn't stock up before they ****ing doubled in price, it looks like I'm back to reloads.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 PM

12 guage Winchester pump gun with 7 1/2 shot. Kill's em grouse dead.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Where did you hear about the ban of lead shot in '09? I've never heard that one before....
The wonderful state of CALIFORNIA hasban lead shotanywhere that a CONDOR might haveranged at one time. This state is full of great ideas. Now .22's are useless because no one makes copper .22 bullets yet. I want out of this forsaken place so bad. Well that was my .2 cents...By the way I shoot a Browning 525 12ga. O/U (Light Mod/IC) when I hunt CHuckar and Pheasant with 5's.I shoot a Browning 525 20ga. IC/IC at quail with 7 1/2's
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

here in IL, my dad loved using his 20ga....with #6......2 3/4" shells

he went to south dakota a few times since and is convinced 12ga all the way! even 3" shells......and less than #6....O/U 12ga is great but semi auto/pump 12ga they all work.

those wild birds are tough out there he said, he said he clobbered a few only to lose them.....they fall out of the sky, marked em......couldnt find em, think they lived.....
Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM

I now use a 20 gauge O/U Browing Cynergy- 2 3/4" #7 1/2 or # 6 in the bottom barrel with a improved cyl. or modified choke on windy days and 3"#6's or Hevi shot #5's in the top barrel with either a improved modified or full choke.Six out ofthe twelveguys I hunt with in South Dakota use 20 gauges. They are light to carry all day and with the proper loads are everybit as deadly to pheasants as a 12 gauge. It is the shooter that makes the difference when it comes to the proper gauge. I shoot with guys who are more lethal with a 28 gauge than many of my 12 gauge buddies.
An ethical a clean shot is right behind the safety of my fellow hunters as a top priority with my group. The keys we found in not losing birds are1) good clean shot selection, 2) marked birds by hunters or dogs and 3) experienced dogs with good noses run by good handlers.We lose very few birds out in SD.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my Benelli M1 12 gauge, but now I save that for the waterfowl blinds.

-Remi700
Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Beretta 686 frame in 12 ga., a 20 will do, (It's on my wish list).
Federal Premuim copper coated 6s and watch them drop. Chokes depend on the conditions, usually I/M.

Find what ever fits your hands, have it cut to fit and pattern it. Your gun may shoot one shell/maker better.

FW area, do you shoot at Alpine?

Old 05-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

For me, Beretta O/U 12ga but anything you shoot well should do it. Your fav. duck gun is good. FYI, in SD there are many places that require non toxic shot so choose shot accordingly.