Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
been 2 years. start this topic again >

been 2 years. start this topic again

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

been 2 years. start this topic again

Old 10-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default been 2 years. start this topic again

im gonna post this in the upland cause we're upland people.

what shells do ya'll reccomend for pheasant?

2 yrs ago (last time i went pheasant hunting) i spent $8 on a box of winchester super x shells (i think) with 1 1/4 oz. of #4 shot.

i really dont wanna spend that much and would like to get a box of 1 1/4oz. #6 shot this time around.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 10-28-2002, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: been 2 years. start this topic again

i really dont think u need that much lead to fold a pheasant...maybe far shots...but ive seen them shout out at 40+yds with 7 1/2 and folded them with one shot..that was with reloads of 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot..this year since im not hunting with the guy i did last time i am trying winchester AA sportloads...and remingtom niro 27 handicaps both 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot...im using them for all my small game needs from grouse and pheasants to rabbits and tree rats...

Old 10-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Spike

JJoel, $8 is not a lot to spend on pheasant shells. Skimping on the shells when pheasants are tough to consistently bring down is false economy. Hunting without a dog you will probably not even use up a whole box on pheasants and compared to the rest of the expenses involved in hunting it just doesn't make sense to cut corners on your shells. There have been pheasants brought down dead with .410's with 8 shot at long distances. You don't want to try and recreate some rare event though, you need to use what has been proven to take them cleanly time and again. This means 4, 5 or 6 shot in a good patterning load at fairly high velocity. I think 1 1/8 is the minimum and 1 1/4 is usually better. 3 3/4 dram, 1 1/4oz loads are considered the pheasant standard for good reason. The new premium loads with copper or nickle plated shot are even better but are quite expensive. If you're serious about bird hunting you need to pattern your gun with various loads. Shooting a load that your gun patterns well is even more of an advantage than the exact load. If you want instructions on patterning email me. It's not hard but has to be done correctly to get useful info.

If you are in Kansas there's a good chance you will be encountering quail and pheasants in the same hunt. A good load for both is a 1 1/4oz load of number 6 shot which patterns well. I would recommend an IC choke if you have a choice. That's what I shoot the most for quail and pheasant.

Old 10-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

im taking "pheasant loads" (my good ole #4 shot) to iowa for pheasants, and in kansas i'll hunt with cheapo 1 1/8oz #7 1/2
they say mostly quail around this part of kansas.

what about skeet chokes?

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs