Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

12 or 20

Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 PM

Default RE: 12 or 20

Well, personal insults and theatrics aside, I like o/u's. I'm looking at the 20ga also.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:10 PM

I like using over-and-unders for clay target shooting. I can hang on to my empties, without having to crawl around and pick them off the ground. I can use two different chokes on the sporting clays range, if feel the need, and the extra weight helps with recoil as well.

That being said, I use semi-auto shotguns for all my bird hunting. I have an old 30" Remington 1100 that I use for waterfowl and a 24" Benelli I use for upland hunting. Both guns are 12 gauges. The Benelli is lightweight and easy to carry, but I still lust for it's 20 gauge twin.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:05 AM

Well Dan in Alaska, you just answered his question. He wants a gun for "hunting" not for the sporting clays range ...Deleted by CalHunter... If Dan if you are looking fo a 20 gauge auto, try the Franchi 620 VS. I too don't like the benelli in 20 ga.[:'(]
Old 03-10-2006, 02:14 AM

You shouldn't need more than two shots at a time when hunting upland anyway. Plus, that second, tighter, choke is pretty handy. I personally would shoot 12, but I may just be overcompensating for my poor aim.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:29 AM
Typical Buck

I carry a 12 Ruger Red Label O/U. My brother has the same gun in 20. I don't really see much difference at all in carrying either one of them around.

I chose the 12 so it could serve as a backup gun for waterfowl hunting in case my semi goes out.

Good luck,

Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

no my question was 12 or 20, i already know im getting a O/U

ORIGINAL: Truth be told....

Well Dan in Alaska, you just answered his question. He wants a gun for "hunting" not for the sporting clays range ...Deleted by CalHunter... If Dan if you are looking fo a 20 gauge auto, try the Franchi 620 VS. I too don't like the benelli in 20 ga.[:'(]
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM

Once again arrogance ruins a nice friendly thread. Some people, it seems don't know how to play well with others.

As I stated in my earlier post, I believe 20g to be enough gun for what you want to hunt. Spend a bit of time at the skeet field, and you will find that not only is the 20g a capable gun, but that you might not need that second round too often, let alone needing a third like some people around here.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

It really depends if you are just limiting yourself to upland and small game. Then I would opt for a nice 20ga especially if you are going to be using a dog.
If you are thinking about waterfowl also I might go with a 12 only because the 20 doesn't give you decent pattern density with 2 3/4 shells unless you keep you shots under 35 yards or want to shoot Kent Marix which is costly and a little hard to find in your local shops. Going to a 3" shell in the 20 imho kinda defeats the purpose of going with one. Those steel #3's are pretty thin patterns for my liking between 35 -40 yards in a 2 3/4 20. If we were still using lead I'd go with the 20 for everything.
Just take your time and buy what fits and feels best in your hands , there are a whole lot of nice o/u's to choose from.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Floorball

Once again arrogance ruins a nice friendly thread. Some people, it seems don't know how to play well with others.

As I stated in my earlier post, I believe 20g to be enough gun for what you want to hunt. Spend a bit of time at the skeet field, and you will find that not only is the 20g a capable gun, but that you might not need that second round too often, let alone needing a third like some people around here.

The advice that FB gave you is very good! That's the quickest way tolearn Lead and Point onDoves. Also shoot some trap on your spare time to learn how to point on Quail and Pheasant. If you are going to shoot Ducks or Geese, I recommend the 12ga w/30" barrel for a better sighting plane.
I used a Win.mod 12-20ga for Quail andearly season Doves for many years. In 1967 I bought a Brn A-5 12ga with a Ribbed 28" Mod barrel and a 30" FC barrel.

AnO/N will do just as good! Just keep it long enough to learn how to shoot it!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Truth be told....

Truth b , I see by all the posts I reviewed that you are a member her just to flame and incite. I will bring you to the attentions of the moderators. This is a good site and I'd like to see it kept this way.
says ruddyduck.

It is my opinion, you don't like it? Tough luck. I spend more time in the field than you ever have. I know what works and what doesn't work. ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Wow...You are indeed The Greatest Hunter of ALL-TIME. Congratulations on your achievement. Thank you for gracing us "yeoman hunters" with your presence on the forum. It is a real shame that none of us will ever reach your level, you are much man. Guess I'll just have to take up golf or tennis now.