HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   Successful Grouse hunt - pic w/dog (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/127016-successful-grouse-hunt-pic-w-dog.html)

farm hunter 12-30-2005 09:27 PM

Successful Grouse hunt - pic w/dog

I just know you guys like to see a picture ofa young dog on a hunt. This is "Ben's" second year - and he loves to hunt- though he ranges too much[:@]- but we had a blast today - and I had my camera along for a picture or two. We don't get out as much as we'd like.

Enjoy -

FH

buckhunter14 12-31-2005 11:15 AM

RE: Successful Grouse hunt - pic w/dog

congrats, beautiful dog and great bird! :)

savage221 01-10-2006 08:49 AM

Nice pics:). I see you’re from NYS and I might be in the market for a Brittney at some point so I’ve got a couple of questions for you.
Where did you get Ben?
How much does he weigh?
How much was he?
Sorry is any of these are a bit forward but I’ve got no idea where I should go for a dog, or how much I should be spending. Thanks.

farm hunter 01-12-2006 10:25 PM

savage 221 -

I was very lucky with Ben. He is the "pick of the litter" of my Sister's dog - Hogan. He was "compensation" for Hogan's services and didn't cost me anything. His littermates sold for about $600.

He weighs right about 48lbs. I'd like him to be a little heavier -but until he's neutered (if ever) - I'm not sure he'll gain much more weight.

You will love the disposition of a Brittany! And he truly loves to hunt.As far as looking for one, you should look for AKC registered breeders in your area. Don'tsettle on a cross-breed for much less money - and insist on AKC documentaion. Brittanys are a special breed - and when crossbred have problems with hips, and other problems.

Look for a dog that's parents are both about 20" at the shoulder.

FH

This is him as a puppy - he was a cutie!

FH

Red Earth 01-12-2006 11:30 PM

FH,

Nice looking young dog you have there. I miss chasing the Grouse in NY but not the winters!

Savage,

I know a few good Britt folks out your way. Pawling NY, Steve Fasano.....nice dogs and even a better trainer. If you are interested E mail me and I will send you his number.

I also know a few in NJ, not that close to you but worth the trip IMHO.

Phil
REO

Birdman1 01-25-2006 12:21 PM

Hey Farm Hunter, beautiful dog!!! I have to wait until April for mine. I'm looking forward to working with him and I hope to have the same success you are having. Great job and keep up the good work.

porknbeans 01-26-2006 06:13 AM

Good looking Brit. I have one that will be 2 in April and she has been a nice addition to the family and a good hunting companion. I had hoped to get her into grouse this last fall, but blew out my knee. I'm rebuilt and looking forward to next season.

Guss 01-26-2006 09:56 PM

Cool pics and way to go on the bird.

Here is a pic of my brit.He ranges sometimes and man can that get frustarating grouse hunting. I have found that if I run him befor we hunt heworkes alot closer. (6 miles behind the truck at around 12mph).

Here is a picof the killer and yes he has a tail, dont ask.

Slowpitch 01-28-2006 04:22 PM

Was just out Grouse hunting today with my Jack russell lol Not much good for grouse hunting, but keeps him fit...Canserega Forest area flushed 2 into trees, but by time we got over there, they flew off, never got a shot off today, But i'll be back out there tomorrow :) Great day to be out in the woods....

I love britts great hunting dogs, But i plan on getting my first bird dog this year, thinking about a lab, Any feedback from you guys on this idea would be greatly appreciated, I figure i need a , Pointer, flush dog & retriver all in one, Just figure a labs my best bet.....

Happy Grouse hunting ..........

CDover 01-29-2006 06:46 PM

Slow Pitch were you from?