Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 SILVER SPRINGS HUNTING AREA N. ILLINOIS >

SILVER SPRINGS HUNTING AREA N. ILLINOIS

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

SILVER SPRINGS HUNTING AREA N. ILLINOIS

Old 12-27-2005, 03:30 PM

Default SILVER SPRINGS HUNTING AREA N. ILLINOIS

Hi all,

Has anyone ever hunted Silver Springs controlled pheasant hunts near Yorkville. If so, any information you can pass along would be appreciated. I am really interested in knowing if standbys usually get on. If so, do you have a better chance of getting on if you go really early or does it really matter? How is the cover there and is it a good challenge for the dogs?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2005, 05:11 PM

Default RE: SILVER SPRINGS HUNTING AREA N. ILLINOIS

Hey waterfowler,

I just moved to yorkville about 4 months ago. I have a 2.5 yr old brittany that I have taken to silver springs for about the last month. my first time going was in mid november, which i had signed up for online. Then i realized you can do standby and have done standby twice a weekendfor the last like 3 or 4 weeks. I have always gotten on.

I really like the variety there too...have like 2 diff areas. On the south side of the river, you can do trees and ag crops and the on the north you can do more wide open grass. I really like doing both in the day, personally like lot 6. the south side (office side) from what ive seen is usually pretty tight. It has been a great experience for my dog.

hope this helps. if i wasnt leaving this week and missing the last weekend, id meet ya out there!

jared

edit: you have to get there before 830. stanbys get in after everyone w/ permit has checked in and they givem till 830. i like to get there b/w 815 and 830. Dont be Late!! no standbys in the afternoon. Rich in the office is usually nice about letting one or 2 extra get on above 50. christmas eve he let quite a few on.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 PM

Default RE: SILVER SPRINGS HUNTING AREA N. ILLINOIS

Hey Jared,

I appreciate all the info – helps out a lot. That must be awesome living around there and hunting the last few weekends. By the way, I am looking to get a Brittany – I really love the breed. I have an 11 month old Boykin Spaniel and he is awesome, but I really want to give him a buddy and I think a Brittany would be great.

Thanks again for the info and happy hunting.