Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 South Dakota Pheasant Hunting >

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Old 11-13-2005, 10:28 PM

Default South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

I just got back from pheasant hunting in South Dakota. The hunting was fun but had a hard time getting close enough for good shots. Birds flushed too far out. Tried blocking at end of the field but birds flushed out the sides. Any suggestions or tactics for hunting with a group of about 6 guys?

Also looking for places around Redfield for next year.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:30 PM

Default RE: South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Just got back from Mitchell, SD. Considering the size of the fields, you probably need a lot more people. We had about 15 in our group each day and had our limit within the first 2-3 hours.

I would suggest sticking to smaller fields where you can have enough blockers and walkers to cover the ground well.

Just my .02 cents
Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 PM

we got into a lot of birds here in ks this last weekend, and we had a 1/4 section of CRP that we lease. We made two passes and had 4 guys blocking both times... so we had 10 guys walking.. but my suggestion is to think of which way the birds will fly and then make about a 20 degree angle towards that way, so if you think the birds will fly south, then have the guys on the south end of the field ahead of the guys on the north end and try to kind of force them to which ever way you want them to.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

what you want is when your blocking is to have flankerson the side, and also have flankers with the walkers, but make sure to give the flankers time to get up ahead. the flankers should stay out of the field and should be about 10 to 15 yards when they are walking, this keeps the birds in the field that way they are in shooting distance when they flush. got many birds that way. best of luck to ya.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:01 PM

big fields are always a problem, here's something maybe others haven't quipped. when hunting with a smaller group, bite off smaller portions of the field, example, place two blockers at the ends, in the direction you're pushing, but, starting a few passes deep from the edge of the field and push towards the edge, then work the opposite end of the field using the same strategy.
I've used this, out here in the big ag fields of Ca. and its produced! I've even done this with two hunters, one blocker and the other push, always staying within two hundred yards or less of the edge of the field and then pushing to the edge, taking turns on push/block, this we doALWAYS using dogs!
I just experienced my first everSD hunt, I was on my wayhome to CA from MN where I hit the pheasant haunts solo from opening weekend, except for one day, I had a companion hunter.
Just me and my dog, and it was the best experience of my life, both MN and SD.
You folks that either live there or have the wherewithall to hunt there season after season are LUCKY, BLESSED, and very fortunate to say the least!
I'll remember my experience for a lifetime, and hopefully, I'll get back!