Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Iowa Pheasants

Old 12-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Iowa Pheasants

yes, I know that was kind of sharp, but guys who over shoot there limit or sky bust, etc. just get to me. But then he has the nerve to come on here and brag about it. But you are right, I should probably keep opinions like that off the board. I went back to my post and deleted the part that was a little too personal.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 PM

[:-]In Mn. party hunting is legal, meaning, you can work on your hunting partner's limit if he didn't fill it!
Is IA. the same? If so, there's the missing piece to the puzzle on the kid slaying the crap out of the birds!
My hat's off to him, if there's a lick of truth to it!
The limit in MN is only two/day, so, to bag your hunting partner's two would be just a tad selfish to begin with IMHO! But, that's the rules, and I'm sure there are those that have that spirit to do somethinglike that, which isn't ALL bad, at least as long as everyone goes home with birds to eat!
Funny thing, party hunting isn't allowed for dove and waterfowl, but, for the upland species it is!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 AM

"Party hunting" is not legal in Iowa. I wouldn't want to hunt with someone who shoots my birds for me anyway. I just see the kid as wanting some attention on here. Lets not burn him at the stake.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:15 AM

I'm betting this kid hunts mostly alone or with other kids his age. This is a shining example of why everyone should take a kid hunting. Teach them the right ways of hunting and ethics. I bet he would be an enjoyable person to hunt with given the right quidance.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:55 PM

hey i just got my lap top back after it junked out on me and after readin the posts i went and looked back at my pictures (i photograph every hunting trip for reasonslike this. after counting i was off. my mistake and in fact after counting birds and counting hunting days i was 6 birds under my limit and i do hunt about everyday. as far as hunting with kids i dont i only hutn with kids 2 this year and was unsuccessful both times. i hunt mainly with my dad uncle and grandpa and as far as gloating that was not my intentions i was just informing people on how the iowa hunting was going. im sry for the mistake on count. Roman
Old 01-05-2006, 05:58 AM

I'm going to head into Iowa for one last weekend of hunting. I'm going to be in the Cedar Rapids/Tama area. How have the birds been and where have people been finding success?

Old 01-05-2006, 08:20 AM

Hey porknbeans - do you hunt private or public land in that area - I've been thinking about heading out that way next year and was just wondering how you go about finding places.

By the way, I read one of your reviews on another pheasant website on one of the smaller clubs near Janesville/Madison. I gave them a call and am probably going to hunt there this Sunday. Your reviews on that site have been really helpful - thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:14 AM

waterfowler

Thank you. Your comments are very nice to hear.

Regarding Iowa: My wife has an uncle that lives in a little town between Tama and Cedar Rapids. I'm hoping he can set something up on private land or point me to some good public land. I also make a trip in early November to the Northwest corner of Iowa and hunt strictly private land. I have to admit that this hunt is with friends who live/work in the area and thespots we hunt areamazing for an avid uplander. I do know that the Iowa DNR has a website that I have used to look at public lands.

Drop me an email and let's try to work something out for R&G's this year. I only live 10 miles from there and go back as often as my checkbook allows! Take care and thanks again.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 AM

Porknbeans – that is nice to only live 10 minutes from there – I talked to one of the kids and he seemed really nice. He said no one else is hunting there on Sunday – so we could hunt all day if we wanted to and would be ok with only a 2 bird release per gun with scratch birds only $10. The cover he described sounds really nice too – I like hunting Sorghum, it slows down my 1 year old Boykin a little. He is still learning and sometimes gets too far ahead of me when he gets into a field that doesn’t have thicker cover.

Anyway, I would definitely be up to getting together for a hunt. If I remember correctly, you have a Brittany(s) and I am seriously thinking about getting one so that would be nice to get to hunt over one. Have fun this weekend and I will drop you an email sometime soon.