Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Experienced Hunters!  I need your opinion! >

Experienced Hunters! I need your opinion!

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Experienced Hunters! I need your opinion!

Old 10-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Experienced Hunters! I need your opinion!

Hello,

I have two children that are 5 years old and 3 years old. I have just learned that their father has taken the two of them partridge hunting with him over the weekend. There were no other adults accompanying him. He did bag a partridge and the children were very excited.

Their father is a very good hunter and has always been very responsible with his gun. However, my concern is that, especially with a 3 year old, you just never know when they might do something unexpected.

So, before I make a big deal, I first wanted to see if maybe I'm just overly protective or not. I thought... there can't be a better place than to seek the opinion of other hunters.

In your opinion, what should be the minimum age to take a child out hunting with you? Would you bring your 5 year old or 3 year old out with you?

Thanks for your time...
Old 10-10-2005, 06:39 PM

Default RE: Experienced Hunters! I need your opinion!

I would'nt take any child no matter what age,who has not taken a hunter safety coursewith me hunting.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Until life got busy I taught hunter safety for the state of MO for about 15 years. I really don't think the age thing should be a big factor as proper gun handling should begin as early as possible. I do however understand your concern and would advise the use of a gun locking system of some sort. Ihave removed the firing pins and/or have locked them ( my guns not my kids) in a safe. If you do lock them up make sure the adults carry the keys always. I never had concern with my kids as I locked everything up and even to this day carry the safe keys on my person. In some states and cities the local police and maybe even the conservation depts. may have a lock program and they can be obtained free. Otherwise check your local Wal Mart etc. Hard plastic cases are another way to lock up a forearm as most have a place you can put a locking devise. Hope this helps.

My opinion as to the ageisthat any age is ok as long as emphasis is placed on enjoying the outdoors and the serious hunting done later. Just remember that even at this ageattitude and conduct are observed and a lot is retained.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken my kids with me since they were age 2. They are now 13, 11 and 8. I would not trade my time in the field with them for all the money in the world.

I recently took my son on a pheasant and hun hunt his reply at the end of the day was that it had been the best day of his life. If the father is responsible and has hunted then let your children go as they will bond with him doing something he loves.

Nemont
Old 10-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

Let me first say this, I'm not married or have any children. I've hunted with my dad my entire life even when I was barely walking. IF I was a parent and hunting alone I probably would not take children that young, especially two at the same time while I'm handling a gun. Even if he's responsible and his kids have been taught what to do if a bird flushes (my dad always told me to get down....for safety's sake). On the other hand, if he was hunting with another responsible adult and he wanted to take them, I see no problem with that, even if he decides to carry a gun. A few years ago I quail hunted on a guy's land and he wanted to take his 7 year old son with us. He wasn't carrying a gun but wanted his kid see what it was like. Everybody was very safety minded and his son would stick by his side when the dogs went on point. And it turned out to be a great hunt...his son was thrilled and has been dying to go back out with us again. Sorry, I think I started rambling.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:12 AM

I'll assume your husband was the only person with a gun, if that was the case then taking your 2 children along is not an issue (IMHO) at all if he's a responsible hunter. A 3 and 5 year old would naturally slow down any time in the field to a crawl and if hehunts with a dog that points that would allow even more control. The one thing I would be curious of would be hearing protection for the little ones. Any good father/hunter would be much more concerned with the little ones safety then actual hunting and if that is the kind of person he is then I believe you could feel confident with your husband taking them along as "observers and companions". Good for him for taking them along instead of leaving them behind.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Spike

I started taking my oldest son when he was 7(now 9),my 5 year old has yet to go. My main concern here in AZ is the cactus, if they are not paying attention they could easily walk right into a cholla in the areas I hunt. Hell, friday morning I walked into a big cholla clump watching the quail in front of me and not where I was going,about 15 minutes with the leatherman pliers in my kneecap,I would not want that to happen to a child. That said, for hunts in the woods up north, my boys are fine, but they have been taught gun safetytheir whole lives.They don't carry guns and won't until probably 10-12. I believe it is totally dependent upon the child and the situation.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Im thinking hes got them started in the right direction, I recall a bumper sticker I read:

[blockquote]
"kids that hunt, fish and trap do not mug old ladies"
[/blockquote]
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Shazzy, I started hunting with my son Keaton when he was 3 months old. He went on almost every trip I went on from that time on. I love having my son with me in the field. He is now 10 and is a hunter safety card holder. The biggest issue in my mind isn't the gun around the kids. It is make sure they are warm and feed. I would say to you, if you are unsure of them being out, then go with them and see for your self if all is well. I bet it is.
Gselkhunter
Old 10-13-2005, 10:05 AM

I have 2 children of my own and can understand the anxiety that you are feeling. I think that taking your kids hunting is a great idea and a wonderful experience. As long as the father is responsible enough to make the hunt asecondary event and the safety and enjoyment of the experience the priority it would be an acceptable thing.

Quick Reply: Experienced Hunters! I need your opinion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.