Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

all ihear is pheasants

Old 09-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default all ihear is pheasants

all i hear like once a week is man we used to have fun hunting pheasants.... it gets annoying, because all they dois talk about it not do anything the state GIVES away day old chicks to any one and im 15 so i never got to hunt the wild birds but i am raising pheasants to try and get some more around...there kinda dumb becuase there used to eating from a feeder so theyll prbly die but a few i think will survive till next season
i just dont know why people dont raise them its will be like 300 bucks for a cage food,feeder and waterer 3 of those you can usa yr after yr so tha cost goes down
Old 09-06-2005, 08:24 PM

Default RE: all ihear is pheasants

There are a few things to consider when stocking pheasants.
1. You are correct about them feeding from feeders. They will not know how to find their own food.
2. They will not know how to use cover. Therefore they will be easy prey for predators.
3. What are the kept in? Are they flight conditioned? Can they run freely? Important things to consider for survival.

The odds for the survival of pen raised pheasant are very low for the reasons above. Even states like New Jersey where they raise birds in a large flight pens with cover and food plots for the pheasants to learn to survive have very low survival rates. If you want to raise the population it would be best to contact Pheasants Forever who have experience it protecting and increasing populations of pheasants. In my opinion habitat is the most important to have, but the pen raised birds will still not no how to adapt right away and will be preyed upon.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mpemt24

There are a few things to consider when stocking pheasants.
1. You are correct about them feeding from feeders. They will not know how to find their own food.
2. They will not know how to use cover. Therefore they will be easy prey for predators.
3. What are the kept in? Are they flight conditioned? Can they run freely? Important things to consider for survival.

The odds for the survival of pen raised pheasant are very low for the reasons above. Even states like New Jersey where they raise birds in a large flight pens with cover and food plots for the pheasants to learn to survive have very low survival rates. If you want to raise the population it would be best to contact Pheasants Forever who have experience it protecting and increasing populations of pheasants. In my opinion habitat is the most important to have, but the pen raised birds will still not no how to adapt right away and will be preyed upon.

DITTO!
Old 09-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

theyy can fly and run around...
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 PM

When I own a decent amount of land, I'll try to boost the peasant population up, and I'll get a private lake for waterfowl, and maybe some forest.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 PM

I dont have any land yet.. as soon as i do I will be getting some pheasant chicks.. I want to populate my area so i can get out and hunt some birds..