HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Upland Bird Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting-8/)
-   -   What's your favorite load for Pheasant? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upland-bird-hunting/110633-whats-your-favorite-load-pheasant.html)

whotheguy 08-28-2005 07:16 AM

What's your favorite load for Pheasant?

Hey all,

Looking to get some feedback on what you're using to bring those pheasants down. I'm referring to the shotshell type. What brand, load, bb size, etc,that you find works the best for your experiences?

Thanks

Rebel Hog 08-28-2005 07:23 AM

RE: What's your favorite load for Pheasant?

#2 steel shot for roosters.

Swede 57 08-28-2005 07:50 AM

I have shot, and shot "at" alot of ringnecks. And I have seen peole knock them down with a 410 and #6 shot. (not recommended)

But my advice is #4 shot out of a 12 guage shotgun. Enough ummp and enough bb's for a decent pattern.

vonottoexperience 08-28-2005 10:03 AM

Depends how your hunting them. I shoot them over my pointing dog. I get close shots, and use 7 1/2 trap load's.

Josh79 08-28-2005 01:56 PM

i have reloaded my own shells for the last couple of years so i do not buy factory ammo for pheasants anymore. some people like 6 shot early in the year then go to 4 later. I have used 5 shot mostly since i started reloading except forreally late in the year i use 4. some spend10 dollars on a box of 1 3/8 golden pheasants or some other "pheasant load". thats why i started reloading myself. i reloadremington nitro 27 hulls, with 1 1/4 of nickel plated lead shot, long shot powder, remington r12l wad. i usuallymakethe 1440 or 1330 fps loads. this year i might try some 1 3/8 shot we will see.

Guss 08-29-2005 09:49 AM

I like a shot size of 4 or 5. I have used Fedral Pheasant Forever loads, I think they are coated with brass. Also Rem highbrass, or Max loads, work well to. I like to have alittle extra kick when they birds get alittle jumpy and fly alittle farthere out.

If you are hunting birds that havent been pushed much you can get close,and you can get away with lighter loads.If the birds have been pushed alot, say on public land you willwant a heavy load, they will run and run andrun, even with a pointer.

Some places makeyou shoot steel, I would say size 3 shot in steel.

Mite 08-29-2005 06:13 PM

For pen raise pheasants, I use #6 in lead or #4 in steel. Haven't used bismuth loads yet. For wild pheasants I used to use #6 lead but now there really isn't wild oneswhere I live now.

Worc 08-29-2005 07:03 PM

Fiocchi Golden Pheasent in 12 gauge 2 3/4" with 1 3/8oz. of #5. It crushes those roosters. Winchester Super Pheasent loads are also very good

gselkhunter 08-30-2005 04:58 AM

I have never been a 12ga guy, I shoot 20ga or 28ga shotguns. And because of this, I reload also. I have found that even factory ammo isn't the same box to box, mine is. So for pheasant hunting give me a load of 6s in the lower barrel and 5s in the top. All hunting loads are platted shot, nickle or copper doesn't seem to matter. I start the season with the 28ga and over pointing dogs, this gun has done wonders. Later in the season I move to the 20ga, but I don't shoot at out of range birds. I don't care to leave cripples all over the place. As for #4 shot, it will load for the 20ga, but won't drop through the tube of the loader for the 28ga. So I carry 4s for the 20ga only.
Gselkhunter

Nate58102 09-03-2005 11:53 AM

i ussually use 6's in the first part of the season and i move down to 4's by the end once they start getting spooky, but yea if ur not on a budget buy some higher quality shells around 10 bucks for lead cause 2 and 3 years ago i wouod just get the cheepest box around 3$ and it does realy make a difference