Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 What's your favorite load for Pheasant? >

What's your favorite load for Pheasant?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

What's your favorite load for Pheasant?

Old 11-04-2005, 11:04 PM

Default RE: What's your favorite load for Pheasant?

I reload old fedel gold medal hullswith 1 1/4 5 shot with 40 gr. blue dot.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:07 PM

Im with kansas Hunter Super X 5 or 6 but i love the 5 for knockin em down
Old 11-16-2005, 07:13 PM

dang.. you guys sure do like those bigger loads... im with vonottoexperience.. i use 7 1/2 shot trap load... but i do always hunt over dogs.... last weekend i shot 6 pheasant and no one was alive when I shot it... I'm comfortable and confident in the 7 1/2
Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 AM

Geez, what conditions are you guys hunting under? It must be really cold and the birds must have lots of feathers to penetrate to be steadily shooting #4 lead.

Early on, September and October, I use game and trap loads #7 1/2's . Late October through November I use high brass #6's. All 2 3/4" shells. I haven't shot 3" magnums in years. I use these because they are good over both the setter and the springers. Sometimes I shoot #5's only to shoot something different.

I have a box of Remington Express Long range #4's for hunting over the springers late in the season. I only have one of those in the magazine setup for the last shot I can take (first loaded in the magazine). Late in the season, I always have a #6 in the chamber for my first shot.

Brands, I shoot Remington game, trap and Express Long range loads, Winchester standards and supremes, and Estate. I don't really care about brand. Most of the time I hunt over the pointing dog and it doesn't really matter what brand.

In MA we can still use lead so why shoot steel. I thought about shooting steel because we were jumping ducks while bird hunting, but never did it.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

6's in my 12, 5's in my .410 and my wife shoots 6's in her 20.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:35 AM

i hunt over a pointer so shots are normally close, i use reloaded 6's in 20 gauge and have never had a problem when i have to reach out a little bit
Old 12-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is my 2 cents. also.the #6 shot lead in the 2 and3/4 inch high brass in 12 ga is what i use for pheasants/grouse.i used to use 7 and 1/2 for grouse but shots are longer now.i like remington or winchester shells.i got a box of these at wal-mart for 5 dollars sat. shots on pheasants after they are hunted are longer now, so , i think you need a heavier bb to shoot.#6 is my favorite but # 5 is also good for pheasants .i like idea i just take 1 box out hunting ,grouse or pheasants. as for 3 inch shells, oh my.i dont think i even want to try that.its not needed and shells are expensive.my favorite chokes are improved cyl and modified.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:09 AM

For years I've been using my reloads of 1 1/8 oz of #4 steel (1265 fps). Recently started using Kent 1 1/16 oz of #2 steel (1550 fps). I'm impressed with them - great knock down power.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:55 AM

I recently ran out of my typical load and had to switch to a box I've had in case of a back up. It was a slower speed and I could tell the difference when I shot.

Marty, I like your tag line about being addicted to pheasants.

Good hunting.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:29 AM

Fiocchi Golden Pheasant #5's!

Quick Reply: What's your favorite load for Pheasant?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.