Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shot the wrong bird!!!

Old 05-10-2005, 08:38 PM

Default RE: Shot the wrong bird!!!

I've watched a big tom walk by and killed a jake. Hate it when it happens but it does. They all taste the same.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be happy w/ a jake at this point! and I probably would have done the same thing seeing that beard if he wasn't in strut
That is one long beard on that jake! My buddy shot one the other day that was a bit over 15lb, but it only had a 3" beard.
Good eatin'.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont worry too much man. At least you got some meat right!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 AM

Yea, I just hate to kill a jake after taking some longbeards this season. It is a personal thing, and I would prefer not doing it. Especially when in the back of my mind I wasn't sure.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:49 AM

Not being sure, then killing a jake when you didn't want to would be a disappointment. But hey, sometimes a jake is good.

Hal
Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last year, I was glassing this monster bird with at least 1 3/8" hooks on his legs. He was huge. So, I positioned myself at the field edge where I could see. Man what spurs he had (I could see them from 100 yds w/my bino's).

So, I started calling, and they began moving my way. I had to spin around behind a deadfall, where they couldn't see me. After about 20 min., I peeked over the top and saw them within 30 yards. I could hear a hen purring just over the bank.

I was wondering where he was, when a big head appeared from below my line of sight. It looked like a Bomb Pop, and he was about 7 yards. I blew his whole head right off.

I stood up only to see my monster tom running across a field, and realized that I had killed something else. It turned out to be a funny looking 2-year-old who had lost his beard. (3/4" spurs, 2" beard - cut off flat, 18#). To this day, I have no idea where that bird came from, b/c he was NOT in the field.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude with all the Gobblers you kill every year. It wouldn't hurt ya to let one go

Congrats on your awsome season!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Mr Longbeard,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I should have let him walk. I had enough doubt that it wouldn't have been a big issue. Truth is this is all mental stuff!!! I like to kill'm. But it is about the experience. Like most I forget that from time to time, and I did when I shot the jake. He hadn't gobbled or strutted or really done anything other than slip into my calling. I love turkey meat, but have plenty. I was unsure and the right thing to have done in my mind was to let him walk since I was uncertain of his age. But I didn't! I don't like the greedy, success driven side of my personality and in this situation it won out. I can't change it now, but hopefully I'll learn from it. Isn't that what it is all about enjoying the process and learning so that we might grow.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i dont know which is worse? Shooting a jake w/ an impressive beard or shooting a tom with a short beard. The latter happened to me this year.

This year I was working two toms that i had been glassing earlier in the day. After two different setups and a total of 3 hours, they finally snuck in quietly. the way i was positioned, I didnt see them until they were 10 and 15 yards out. Needless to say i had to make quick judgement. I couldnt see the second bird's beard so i focused on the first bird (10yards). The first glance at his beard told me it was short, but then my eyes played a trick on me and i thought it was a lot longer. I knew it was a tom beacuse it was of the tail feathers so i took the shot. the ohter bird flew off with a really nice beard. BUT my bird had beard rot, 4.5 " beard, 1"spurs, and 23lbs. I also was a little mad but i eventually convinced myself that it was like taking a management turkey. I dont know if beard rot is hereditary but i didnt want him passing his genes on to anymore birds.

In the end still had a great hunt and my second turkey in the freezer. Plus my first bird had doulbe beards 11 and 9, 1.25 spurs, and 25.5 lbs so i dont think i can complain about anything