Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I need a trunk monkey for turkey hunting >

I need a trunk monkey for turkey hunting

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I need a trunk monkey for turkey hunting

Old 05-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need a trunk monkey for turkey hunting

I know what you're sayin' P3.

About 3 seasons ago, I was hunting some gamelands in SW PA, when some guy blasted my jake decoy off the pole. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. He did at least apologize, and I let it go at that.

So, I vowed to never hunt public land for turkeys again. I locked down about 2500 acres of private land to hunt. I worked hard, scouted preseason and schmoozed with a lot of landowners. My favorite farm is 550 ac., and loaded with turkeys. The owner is a really nice guy, and doesn't let a lot of people hunt.

This season, however, he gave permission to a guy who does some cattle work for him. On the opener, this guy shows up with 3 other guys and gets all aggressive with me, asking me my name and if I know it's private property. So, we pack 6 people on a 500 acre farm, and it's miserable. They were stalking the bird I was working. They were stalking my calling. Just inconsiderate idiots. They've completely ruined the place now every Saturday. So if I want to do any good there, I have to make a special weekday trip.

It won't be long before they get kicked off by the landowner b/c they're slobs, but it just bothers me that people can be this rude. I explained to the guy that I'd been hunting there for 3 years, and that the place was kinda small for six people to be stacked in, but he didn't seem to care. Instead, he told me that he had as much right to be there as I did, and he's right, but whatever happened to having a little decency and respect for your fellow hunter??

Some people can be real gentlemen . . .
Old 05-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I need a trunk monkey for turkey hunting

pe- i feel your pain, but doesn't just happen on public land, although i got busted by a snob hunter on the last trip i made on public land. i had 2 guys at the deer and turkey lease mess me up for 2 years in a row. they would come down and look for my truck, knowing i had done all the scouting necessary before season. they busted my set-up several times, even though i asked them to stay away when i was working a turkey. i finally got to the point of leaving my truck 1/2 mile or better from where i was hunting to throw them off. finally, started hunting the 2nd week of season instead of 1st to keep them off my turkey. they were too lazy to go out to hear them first thing in the morning. finally got fed up with their attitude during both turkey and deer season-had 6 of them around me me one morning when i climbed into my stand-could see nothing but orange in the trees around me-6 inside 75 yards!!--and joined another camp. smaller area to hunt, but a lot better group of hunters. you can't teach ethics and manners to SLOBS that only think about themselves. keep the faith and don't give up-it gets better eventually!!