HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   NY Longbeard - pic (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/99461-ny-longbeard-pic.html)

MassHntr 05-05-2005 09:36 AM

NY Longbeard - pic

Third day of the NY season, in Otsego County (Cooperstown), my buddy and I were moving in to set up next to a field when a nearby gobble at 4:55 made us find the closest trees. I could just see him with another bird in a large maple about 50 yards away and I figured we were busted. He responded to soft tree yelps and finally flew down about 70 yards away. I could barely see him in the dim light as he strutted for a bit and then wandered directly away from us. I thought the game was over but he returned about 10 minutes later with another longbeard and three jakes. They made their way along the edge of the woods towards us and got to about 35 yards. They were coming at a sharp angle to my trigger hand and I had to chance a slight move since I am less than deadly left-handed. They saw it and turned. I tried to watch the largest tom as they switched places as they moved away. When he stuck his head up, the red dot was on his neck. He had an 8" beard, 1" and 1.25" hooks, and weighed just over 18 lbs. I checked my watch - 5:20.

Tree climber 05-05-2005 09:58 AM

RE: NY Longbeard - pic

congrats. on a good bird and on not getting busted.
nice pic.

jepcho 05-05-2005 10:01 AM

Nice bird! Good job and congrats.

MDManiac 05-05-2005 06:45 PM

Good Job, too bad ten minutes early!! (sunrise is right around 6 - 1/2 before sunrise!!) I wont say nothin tho ;)

NewbHunter 05-05-2005 06:53 PM

Really nice bird congrats!

MassHntr 05-06-2005 06:54 AM

We were in the far eastern part of the county... sun comes up earlier there.;)

Strut&Rut 05-06-2005 07:37 AM

I keep a tab on the weather for various townships within Otsego County, considering that's my birthplace, and many of my friend's hunt.

Sunrise today, in Cooperstown, was 5:48. Considering that you shot 2 minutes after legal shooting hours, I'm guessing that you had a shell in the chamber long before those birds were in shooting range. Guess you were illegal, then, eh?!

Nice bird, nonetheless.

Which direction from the center of town, I have a few friends that routinely try the State Forest near Cherry Valley...

S&R

MassHntr 05-06-2005 07:57 AM

S&R,

Southwest of town, west of Rt. 28. Beautiful looking country. I grew up in the Finger Lakes and like to get back that way when I can. Lived down in East Lyme for awhile, too. You getting after CT birds?

Strut&Rut 05-06-2005 08:22 AM

Mass,

I have a few farms I still have permission on in Mt. Vision and Hartwick, which can't be far from where you're hunting. I grew up near Oneonta. My brother was complaining the birds are all tight-lipped, I'll have to send him your story ;) We always go out over Memorial Day weekend, with good success at locating and calling birds, but awful difficult to get them into range at that stage of the season...

Yeah, I'm after the birds here in CT, season started on Wednesday. Worked 2 for over 4 hours on Wednesday, no luck, the parcel I'm hunting has gotten really thick with briars the last 2 seasons. Skipped yesterday with a horrible headache, really rotten, weather was perfect.

Went out this morning, and they were roosted across the road (no permission). Cleaned up a new area to sneak into tomorrow, and I haven't hunted my honey holes yet---I have sole permission on those properties.

Cheers,

S&R

MassHntr 05-06-2005 08:48 AM

It was quiet when we were there. My buddy got a jake opening day - his first bird. Came in strutting but quiet. I think the hens are in full nest-filling mode. These guys gobble once and a willing honey shows up. I think you're right - it'll pick up later when more and more are sitting. The bird I got did not gobble on the ground, nor did any of the others with him. Let me know how you make out.

Mass