Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Aluminum calls

Old 05-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Aluminum calls

Does any one use aluminum calls? What is you opinion of them? Do they work when wet? What kind of striker works best? I don't have one but was thinking of making one to add to my arsenal.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Aluminum calls

I hate em. They are nice with a carbon stricker in rain tho.

They sound to hollow and tinn-ie..My opinion But really it up to the turkeys...One might love one might hate it. Ive heard really nice calls get nothing. He brings out his worstr sounding one and th gobble. All in the eye of the Turkey.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont care for them a whole lot. I did call in a turkey with one last year though. As far as in the rain? As long as you aren't using a wood striker they work just fine when wet.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:28 AM

my dad loves the illuminator calls, they are excellent locator calls cuz they give off a screech sometimes, they are so high pitched the birds go nuts. i think the illuminators are alluminum.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:37 AM

Ive had very good luck with mine. You can call lightly and the high frequency carries alot further than most other friction calls. This works great in the thicker florida woods.
I called in a bird last year with my custom aluminum that wouldnt come in to any other call. The best one Ive found is one made by Andy Kaiser of Kaiser calls. That thing sings and the turkeys down here love it.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Best friction call made IMHO. I have a quaker boy Aluminator. It reaches higher frequencies than other calls. Buy one they are not expensive and try it yourself. I use a wood striker. Sand it with a steel pad and it sounds sweet. I use it in conjuction with a mouth call to sound like 2 hens. The aluminator has produced many gobblers for me, I will not go in the woods without it.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, I've killed a gaggle of turkeys with that Quaker Boy Aluminator. Aside from my half-a-zillion mouthcalls, that's the only call I take in the woods with me.

Aluminum gives a high frequency pitch, but can also be dull, depending on where you're striking.

That Aluminator with a Rosewood M.A.D. striker.... Sounds quite sexy.

My partner just bought a M.A.D. Heavy Metal - it's an aluminum pot with a resin surface. It's LOUD, and sounds awesome. It will be mighty handy on windy days or when background noise is drowning out your sound.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have the HS Black Magic, sounds really good, with either acrylic or wood striker, never needs sangind either.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called in a couple of birds with my H.S. Alumiwitch. They sounded like they were a mile away when they first responded. I wasn't even sure they were responding to my calls they were so far away. I was getting ready to move to them when I noticed they were closing the distance.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 PM

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

I have the HS Black Magic, sounds really good, with either acrylic or wood striker, never needs sangind either.
I've had a H.S. Strut Black Magic aluminum call for several years now. I couldn't tell you how many gobblers I've called in with it! It is one of my "go to" calls every season. I like it so much, I bought another one off of Ebay this past winter just for a back-up in case I ever lose mine. The best striker I've tried on mine and the one I use the most is a rosewood striker, it sounds simply awesome! Can't really comment on it working in the rain. When it is wet, I usually just resort to a mouth call. If I were you, I'd pick up a good aluminum call, it just might become your favorite call also! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Aluminum calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.