Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF VT >

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF VT

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF VT

Old 05-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Default RE: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF VT

That happens to every bird hunter at least once. I chased after a wounded canadian goose that was hit solidly, fell onto frozen ground with a thud, and took off running as if it were Jesse Ownes. I could not believe those little legs could go that fast. I eventually got him but I'll be darned if I ever go bird hunting without a dog again.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where in VT do you hunt? I hunt Rutland County pretty hard, we tied into some birds on opening day but couldn't get them close enough. I haven't been back since because I hunted PA last week but should be back in VT this upcoming weekend.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Harry Houdini the wounded gobbler. I've been down that road before. Now, after the first shot, I close the distance fast and make ready for a follow-up. After they get their legs under 'em and get their bearings straight, it can get pretty hairy pretty fast.

Live and learn, that's all you can do.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Woodstock, Bridgewater, Sharon and White River Juntion area. That covers a lot of area but I've got spots in each of those towns I try to hit each year. A fellow turkey hunter told me a few spots in Rutland he hunted but I've lost the directions. He's moved away and thought I might want to give his old hujnting ground a try. One of these days I'll make it up that way! I might have lost the directions but I still have a good memory at least to get with in the ball park of where he was talking. Think I'll be heading up to VT mid-week to see what's going on.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

Woodstock, Bridgewater, Sharon and White River Juntion area. That covers a lot of area but I've got spots in each of those towns I try to hit each year. A fellow turkey hunter told me a few spots in Rutland he hunted but I've lost the directions. He's moved away and thought I might want to give his old hujnting ground a try. One of these days I'll make it up that way! I might have lost the directions but I still have a good memory at least to get with in the ball park of where he was talking. Think I'll be heading up to VT mid-week to see what's going on.
If you get the itch to check out Rutland County, drop me a PM. I will be up there a few more weekends this season and would love to show you around and hunt together. I have around 1500 acres I have access on and there are a few others on it but they are lazy and sit on a flock of decoys in the fields. Last year I killed 2x birds in 3 days of hunting and called in a few others for other people in there.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yea that has happened to me, but when the turkey ran he tried to fly out of some really tall grass. He couldnt get up which slowed him down enough for me to catch him. Then I chased him in a small circle about three times untill I finally had to takle him and finish im with the heel of my boot. I still havnt lived that one down. Probably never will.