HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Hate pulling the trigger (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/99303-hate-pulling-trigger.html)

eddie_v21 05-03-2005 06:24 PM

Hate pulling the trigger

Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time pulling the trigger that first time while testing a new load?When im in the turkey woods in doesnt bother me the least but out in the yard here its a killer squeezing off that first shot.Man do 12 gauge turkey loads thump!!

jepcho 05-03-2005 08:45 PM

RE: Hate pulling the trigger

It not the first load that gets me. Usually it's that 9th shot or more, after my shoulder and face is all bruised up!!;)

c j 05-03-2005 08:54 PM

Switch to a bow. ;)

turkeyhunter_15 05-04-2005 03:19 AM

[>:]

southern_huntress06 05-04-2005 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: eddie_v21

Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time pulling the trigger that first time while testing a new load?When im in the turkey woods in doesnt bother me the least but out in the yard here its a killer squeezing off that first shot.Man do 12 gauge turkey loads thump!!
Thats when you say "oh its really cold today" and then wear a big thick coat for protection.lol Not that I have ever done that...;)

mauser06 05-04-2005 02:25 PM

i kinda like it....call me wierd....but i just love the raw power that something so small can pack......think about it.....its 3 inches long....and maybe an inch thick?? and it whacks you with 60 or 70 some odd pounds of force?? i love it....you know if its hitting you that hard.....imagine what the OTHER end is like.........i really dont mind getting the snot beat out of me once in a while........

RayC 05-04-2005 04:02 PM

I'm kinda like mauser06, I upgraded(?) from my 12 GA to 10 GA with 3.5 inch magnums. Fine for turkey hunting, would for sure not want to shoot all day with it

quiksilver 05-06-2005 12:13 PM

I think it's all gun-specific. I have an 870 supermag 12, with a big recoil pad stuck on the back. I also have a 10 gauge chambered for 3.5" mags with no recoil pad.

I could shoot that 10 gauge all day, even with the turkey loads. Now my 870 with a 3.5" magnum will about knock your shoulder out of place.

My buddy has a SPS-T 3.5" 1187, and that thing wants to fly out of your hands when you fire it. The scope bashes you in the forehead, and the forearm jumps right out of your hands.

I don't know if it's the barrel harmonics or the design of the guns themselves, but I just can't see any rhyme or reason as to why these guns behave the way they do.

DaveH 05-06-2005 01:14 PM

After remembering what the 3" magnums did to my shoulder each year, I was more than a little leery of patterning my new Mossberg 835 Ulti mag with the 3 1/2" magnum shells.

I was pleasantly surprised though. It surely packs a punch, but they porting must be doing it's job because I put quite a few shells through there without any real problems. Never even felt it in the woods with either of my two gobblers this year!

BSTNFREEK 05-06-2005 03:36 PM

you never fell it in the woods!! But as far as patterning goes.... I love waking up the next morning, a looking in the mirror at that big nasty yellow bruise on my sholder, that means turkey season is here!!