Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 DONE IN NH (story added w/pics) >

DONE IN NH (story added w/pics)

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

DONE IN NH (story added w/pics)

Old 05-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DONE IN NH

Thanks everyone! It was a quick NH season but one I'll never forget seeing I was with my brother when he took his first longbeard!

Well May 3rd kicked of our NH 2005 turkeys season. My brother drove 9 hours from PA to hunt NH with me. I'd been scoutting this gobbler for weeks and just days before the season opened, we started to run into trouble. Other hunter that actually found this gobbler because of my truck tag. The rotton SOB's followed me to roost one night and thought they'd move in opening morning. Well lets just say I talked to these guys (nicely) and they decided it was best if they looked some where else opening morning.

We roosted his bird the night before and set up at 3:15am in the morning with in 100yards of his roosting tree. I told Rob if the gobbler was on the right side of the stone wall we set up on, I'd take him. Seeing he was set up with a better shot to the main field he could take him over there. This bird gobbled non stop for about 1/2 hour+ before he pitched down to the field. A hen pitched out to the field to my right and was feeding about 50 yards from our set up. The gobbler pitched into the field on my brother side but started to work his way out of the field towards the hen and my side of the set up. As the gobbler went behind a large oak and across the stone wall I told him to get his gun over on my side quickly. Well he did and ended up taking him around 40 yards. We could have waited but I knew if we did he wouldn't be tagging this bird! I'd be tagging it and I really wanted to see him bust his first longbeard. His bird stats are 21lb 7/8 spurs and 10" beard. I'm very glad I could put him on this gobbler and that things went as well as it did. He's very happy

We tagged his and hit the road to another spot to try and fill my tag. First spot we went to I got a gobble on the first call I put out there from the edge of the woods. I messed up by not having my vest or gun ready so we ended up missing out on that gobbler. The second spot we went to (I was ready this time) I got two or three to bust out with gobbles. I knew jakes were in the area so I didn't get too excited about it. Went down the road a little ways and into a clover field and set up a jake and hen decoy. After about 30minutes of some soft calling I could hear a bird behind me spitting. Next thing you know he's on the other side of the tree I was leaning on and heading out to my set up Well I had to turn my head around slowly but still got a chance to rolled him about 25 yards

My stats were 18 1/2lb 15/16 spur and 1" spur with a 9 1/4" beard.

Here are some scoutting picture I took two days before Rob thumped his gobbler! He took his in the trees/stonewall in the back ground of the picture. The other one is of the gobbler I shot taken a few weeks before the season opened. By 8:25am our NH turkey season was over and we started to plan on a VT hunt for the morning. Life is good

Old 05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: DONE IN NH

Love taking birds you've scouted for months Goes to show that hard work and dedication really do pay off