Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Decoys, are they worth it? >

Decoys, are they worth it?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys, are they worth it?

Old 05-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Decoys, are they worth it?

I have 2 decoys a hen and jake, they are the good rubber ones, with excellant paint, very realistic. I had some hens lead a gobbler into my calling and they walked up to the decoys, got nervous since they were not moving and eventually walked back, taking the gobbler with them. Without the decoys, I think the hens would have walked by and brought the gobbler into range. Do you use decoys? Do they work more times than not?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Default RE: Decoys, are they worth it?

Early season I use one hen. This has paid off big time for me. After most hens are on the nest and the toms go to traveling I put a jake with her to tick him off. It worked this year this bird came in wanting to fight.http://huntchristiancreek.com///Ct.jpg Also I put out 4 hens and 3 jakes one time just to see what would happen. I had a good 3 year old come run in and put on a show.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:18 AM

I agree with using one hen anything more could cause a little bit of unessessary hanging up or even spook them, remember thay know every turkery in the woods. I would use a jake setup only if you expeirence the tom chasing jakes away from the hens. Or if your on private land were no one else is. Last couple of years the jakes have been ganging up on the tom's around here so a jake would not be the thingt to put out. If you have trouble with tom's hanging up you could try the jake one never know's. Good luck. Also if you use the jake decoy put it in a place where no one can sneek up on it and shoot it or you. Usually to the far right or far left of your setup.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, i use a hen and a jake decoy also, well this was actually my first hunt. I was hunting by myself. set up the hen decoy, with the jake about 10 yards behind her. Called in this big boy took him at 30 yards, so from my experience they are worth it

Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 PM

They Suck. They Scare Toms More Then "Attract"
Old 05-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Yes , they do work. The past few years Ive started using more of a passive approach and it has worked great. Using hen decoys that are in the feeding position and maybe one in the breeding position. I also a very small jake decoy along with these early in the season. I havent had one gobbler spook from this setup. I think the decoys setup in the alert upright position can and do spook some birds. Take a look at the new bobbin head decoys. I had very good luck with that one this year. The turkeys flock around this and start scratching around in the dirt trying to find what this odd boobble head deke is feeding on. It was interesting watching the hens reaction to this one. The last bird I killed this season would only come so far down the logging road then turn around and go back and down another side road. Strutting back and forth. When he dissappeared into the side road I slipped out and placed the decoys in the road and crawled back into the bushes.
The combination of the decoys and some soft clucking and purring finally brought this one in. They do work . You just need to know when and how to use them.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

nice bird bushmaster, here is my turkey mount from last season

Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter_15

They Suck. They Scare Toms More Then "Attract"
There is truth to them spooking birds rather than attracting them.

Hal
Old 05-03-2005, 04:12 PM

[&:]My decoy jake was attacked while we "took a break for lunch" this past Monday....[:@]

Evidently, they DO bring other toms (or jakes) to the hen decoy![]

No more lunch breaks here![:'(]

Weather has been weird here.....first HOT yesterday, then frost this morning!! Turned out 78 this afternoon......[&:]
Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM

sounds like us here in WI!! Weather is a funny thing! ALSO, nice bird on the mount there portable ladder!

Quick Reply: Decoys, are they worth it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.