Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 My season is over and notta.. again.. >

My season is over and notta.. again..

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My season is over and notta.. again..

Old 05-01-2005, 08:50 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: My season is over and notta.. again..

ORIGINAL: Turkey Addict

You can't say you didn't get nothing at all.... at least you got to be out there, seeing and hearing things that people that don't hunt never get to hear or see. That stuff is priceless in my book. I hope you never give it up.
Absolutely. Last year was my first year turkey hunting. Went opening day with two buddies who had also never hunted turkeys before. We were all in the same blind. Yeah, it was a bad situation. Not sure what we would have done if we ever got a chance to actually try to draw one of our bows to shoot one. I was so unprepared I never even had a stitch of camo on. I just figured I was going to be in a blind the whole time, so what's the difference? Anyway, my friends never really got into it (only hunted a few more times last year.) but I was addicted almost immediately. Didn't know ANYTHING, though. But that didn't stop me from getting out to the woods almost every single morning during the season and most evenings, too. I can't even add up all the mistakes I made. Had a few close calls. Had luck broken my way I might have taken one that first day, even. But..... never did get one last year. I took a lot of grief about getting skunked from a lot of my friends because very few of them are into archery and none of them are into turkey hunting. But the thing is; I loved every minute of it. I had more fun getting skunked hunting turkeys than 95% of the 'successful' deer hunts I've ever had.

I tell people that turkey hunting is kind of like having a Harley or choosing a 60's muscle car over a new sports car; If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand. Anyone who's been at it for 11 years understands. Stick with it. Think of how satisfying it's going to be when you do succeed.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt on a friends 40 acres... It's all wooded, but it's mostly wet... swamps, marshes, and creeks... Very little hard ground with woods... I see thier tracks and feathers... I see them while deer hunting... But they have no real reason to be there... I can't keep moving till I hear them... It's all private... And for the tag I drew, there is no public land... This is my 5th year hunting this particular piece of land... In those 11 years I have hunted other private lands, public lands, even hunted in Colorado for two of the years... Oh yea, I took a friend out (the 40 acre land owner) for his first time (and so far only time) and called for him on his property... And wouldn't you know it, he got a 2 fer... He shot two big toms with one shot... I go out for just me the next week (we drew diff seasons) and notta... Every year it's the same... notta, notta, notta.... It is fun, but it's getting old... I'm getting really tired of the dissapointment...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 PM

My friend hunted for 14 years and only got two birds, then he went on a hot streak and has gotten 1-2 every year for the last 6 years or so...
Old 05-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting in the great State of Michigan can be feast or famine. It is very difficult to find good hunting ground, especially for turkeys. Access to good ground is rare and all but impossible to find. I know I lived there for a dozen years.

If I were in your shoes and really wanted to get a turkey I would scout out some of the public ground up north or else start knocking on doors. The Mannistee National Forest is decent. A long drive for you but maybe you could take the family camping and work in a hunt.

I think your commentary speaks for itself. In 11 years in the right spot a person should almost be able to accidently kill a turkey.

Don't quit hunting, just quit hunting the same spot over and over.

Good luck, we are all pulling for you.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:04 PM

well keep it up it will pay off