Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season(w/ pictures) >

Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season(w/ pictures)

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season(w/ pictures)

Old 04-30-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season(w/ pictures)

Well fellow hunters, everything finally fell into place. Got my first longbeard of the season today. Went out early this morning. It was 80 degrees last week here in Kansas, this morning it was 34 degrees and there was quite a bit of frost on the ground. So dad and I bundled up in our camo coveralls and headed out. We are dedicated turkey hunters nothing was going to stop up. Well we set up under the roost by accident, but it turned to work in our favor. Five long beards were not more than 35 yds. away but i could not get a shot. Then four jakes ran off one of the long beards as I was just pulling up on him. Finally a big tom ran and chased off another one. He decided since he was close enough to our deocy he might as well come on in and put on a show for her. I saw he was 32 yards out and when i got his head up BAM it went right back down. Bird weighed 18 lbs, 9 1/2 inch ROPE on the thing and 1 1/8 inch spurs. He was a limb hanger; second one i've taken thus far. Pictures will be posted soon. I have pictures of hanging him on a limb as well. Shot the bird at 6:35 this morning. And if you think that is too soon it's not, we can hunt 1/2 BEFORE sunrise to sunset. Felt like it was darn near 8:00 before we pulled him in.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season

Sounds like a great hunt. Congratulations!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season

Here's another picture

Old 05-01-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season(w/ pictures)

congrats[8D]
Old 05-01-2005, 12:12 PM

Looks like ya gotcha a good limb hanger there! Good job!!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:26 PM

Well fellas, since i got my first bird w/ my gun I am now outta college this SATURDAY, FINALLY! I have all the way till the End of May to shoot my other tom w/ a bow now. Last year i missed 6 times. I tell you what it is definately tough to hunt them w/o a blind and to hit them. Hopefully I can bag one with a bow this year. That would just be awesome. Hope everrone else is having as much fun as i am. Wish me luck and good luck to all those out there.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Nice bird. So that's what they look like. I have heard a couple, but no luck yet myself. There's always tomorrow though. Congrats.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Great hunt! Congrats!
Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Great picture, and nice bird! Congratulations on your success!

ORIGINAL: Deer_Tracker

Well fellas, since i got my first bird w/ my gun I am now outta college this SATURDAY, FINALLY! I have all the way till the End of May to shoot my other tom w/ a bow now. Last year i missed 6 times. I tell you what it is definately tough to hunt them w/o a blind and to hit them. Hopefully I can bag one with a bow this year. That would just be awesome. Hope everrone else is having as much fun as i am. Wish me luck and good luck to all those out there.
That isn't REALLY want I wanted to hear because this is my first year to hunt them with my bow, and I don't have a blind.lol [:-] I haven't even been able to get a shot off yet...[&:]
Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Patience Paid off, First Gobler of The Season(w/ pictures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.