HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Does anyone have a lucky call? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/98348-does-anyone-have-lucky-call.html)

torontohunter 04-24-2005 05:30 PM

Does anyone have a lucky call?

Does anyone notice a specific call always seems to work, like a lucky call?
Is is a sleight call, box call, mouth call???
Just curious, I'm in the market for a couple of new calls so I wanted to see what you guys are having the best luck with.

huntnma 04-24-2005 05:51 PM

RE: Does anyone have a lucky call?

i'm kinda fond of my kaiser kalls, all of them ........;)[8D]:)

jepcho 04-24-2005 06:14 PM

I use many different calls but the Knight and Hale Ol yeller is my lucky call. I have called in 3 bird in the last 2 seasons with it. I have other calls that sound just as good or better but when I use this call, I have gotten lucky!!

Rebel Hog 04-24-2005 06:25 PM

toronto, IMHO no luck to it! You choose the one you like and Practice...Practice
Practice, till you sound like a turkey. You don't carry them around like a rabbits
foot. You really have to like it and be dedicated to your calls. Here's a web site
and listen to the turkey calls. If cannot connect, type in search NWFT.
http://www.nwft.org

sour01 04-24-2005 06:42 PM

I like which ever one the longbeard responds to that day. I do seem to go to my Primos Crystal and a slate over glass call that I made. I also mix that up with a diaphram and I like the Primos Piggyback.

fl.huntress 04-24-2005 07:46 PM

i used to but i don't want to take it out in the woods anymore in fear that something will happen to it.
i usually bring my "cardeer necklace" on every hunt so at least i have something.

Allseasonhunter7 04-24-2005 07:58 PM

we use only slate and an owl and crow but idk if we have a lucky call probly hs strut champion tripple glass

XArmy55 04-24-2005 08:15 PM

No, but I have about 10 unlucky ones... LOL

Moose75 04-24-2005 08:15 PM

I have a call a guy from NC made. It is a mouth call it is the best I have every heard. I also like to call birds up without useing any calls. Just my mouth.

PA GOBBLER 04-24-2005 08:42 PM

LOL thats funny... im w/ XArmy i have more unlucky ones than lucky ones.

ORIGINAL: XArmy55

No, but I have about 10 unlucky ones... LOL

trapper T 04-24-2005 10:17 PM

Not right now everything I had I threw at him...he'd just wander back and forth for two day flipping his middle feather at me from 80 yards[:'(][:@][&:][:-][&o]

slee 04-24-2005 10:56 PM

Trapper T, you know I'm partial to the ones I make.;) In particular, I'd have to say my Purpleheart glass over slate. From the few reports I've gotten from customers so far this year, there have been 8 birds that felt compelled to commit suicide because of them. I've got one of them on video that I called in for Bldhound last weekend. Like Rebel Hog said, it's the one you like and develop confidence in that should be your lucky one. That's the one you'll go to when they get tightlipped and you need an ace-in-the-hole call you know you can talk turkey on. That's what'll pay off for you.

7mmsaum 04-26-2005 09:02 AM

My go to call would have to be the Silver Queen by Knight & Hale. I seem to have good luck with this call. Plus, it's the one I used to take my first bird.

Rebel Hog 04-26-2005 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: 7mmsaum

My go to call would have to be the Silver Queen by Knight & Hale. I seem to have good luck with this call. Plus, it's the one I used to take my first bird.

That's all I ever had, is Knight & Hale!

MOTurkeyTamer 04-26-2005 07:57 PM

I guess my "lucky" call would have to be a WELL worn H.S. Strut Black Magic aluminum call and a H.S. Rosewood striker. I've called in more birds with this call than I can remember. Excellent call for the money!

trapper T 04-26-2005 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: slee

Trapper T, you know I'm partial to the ones I make.;) In particular, I'd have to say my Purpleheart glass over slate. From the few reports I've gotten from customers so far this year, there have been 8 birds that felt compelled to commit suicide because of them. I've got one of them on video that I called in for Bldhound last weekend. Like Rebel Hog said, it's the one you like and develop confidence in that should be your lucky one. That's the one you'll go to when they get tightlipped and you need an ace-in-the-hole call you know you can talk turkey on. That's what'll pay off for you.
Agreed on the confidence factor, I usually stick with my Primos Crystal or a ten sider box call, but I lost the box call last year up in Aladdin. I think he was coming into the soft clucks from the crystal...silently, then not knowing he was there I used a box call with a couple yelps that weren't loud but louder than the clucks and I that's when he bolted.

I really like that purpleheart wood one you got, the Paudok and bloodwood intrigue me to, how do those rate compared to the P.H.? I'd like to maybe get together and listen to those two also if you'd like, I've been working down in your neck o' the woods anyway. So I'm down that way everyday.

You can PM me or get ahold of me on the South sound board too(Turkeynut).