Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Should I hang up my shotgun? >

Should I hang up my shotgun?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Should I hang up my shotgun?

Old 04-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Should I hang up my shotgun?

First let me say that this is not intended as a whine because NOBODY LIKES A WHINER.. including me! I would merely like to get everyones honest and maybe even brutal opinion on something....

First, let me tell you a little about me. I have been turkey hunting for six years. I have read three books on the subject, watched three or four videos, secured permission on three private properties, served as a NWTF chapter officer, expended a lot of hours, gas, and money on scouting, hunting, and purchasing equipment. There could be more, but I want to try to keep this brief...why do I tell you all of this? Because I have never harvested a turkey in six years of trying...

My question to you is...if you were me would you know when to say when and hang up your shotgun? Or would you keep trying? Sometimes life has a way of telling you that you're not good at something and I'm wondering if this might be one of those times? What do you think?

I hope no one thinks I'm whining because honestly that's not my intention...I just want to find out if maybe not good at this and should quit.

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Should I hang up my shotgun?

Im 2/3 of ya (this is yr #4)! it takes patience, stick to it, for the sake of your confidence and the sake of the team!
Old 04-24-2005, 03:58 PM

Don't feel so bad Kits,

I was dumped by loser who was suppose to teach me the ropes and then decided to leave me hanging so after buying all the things i needed for this years turkey season im out of the game but i will make sure i scout some places i seen some nice fat toms at & when next years season opens i will be one of the lucky ones who didn't give up and have some nice pics of a full fan of feathers to show off along with a 10 inch beard..

Thats why the good lord gave us a tomorrow

Don't give up kits and stay in there...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep hunting. I didn't get my first until my 5th year hunting them. You learn more every year and every time you get out there. Just keep at them. You WILL eventually get one and when it happens it will be a very special memory for you. Good luck and dont give up. They are one of the hardest animals to hunt IMO!!
Old 04-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely not KipSapCaller, keep up the hunting, one of these days everything will work like its suppose to and then you will be hooked for good. I have hunted turkey for about 30 years now and I think I learn something new on every trip out, if it was easy to bag a trophy bird like all wild turkeys are then it would'nt be near as exciting and fun, Whatever you do don't quit turkey hunting, keep on keeping on and one of these morning we will be reading your story and how it happened when you tagged your first long beard.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM

I know how you feel I been there took me a few years to get my first bird. I killed 4 this year. I believe the only reason I killed those this year is because of mistakes I made in the past and learned from. Don't quit When you do get your first you will be overcome with joy. IMO turkeys are the hardest animal to hunt in America.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that depends on just 2 things:

1) Do you enjoy the hunting, even with the early morning wake-up call and the extra financial expenses?

2) Do you actually see birds, and get them to answer to your calls?

If you enjoy it, why give up? I know it can be frustrating, but that's part of hunting. I was skunked last year for the first time in about 15 years, and honestly, did not enjoy it one bit. But I hunted hard, and had an opportunity on 5 different mornings...I either was facing the wrong way, had obstacles, or just passed on some iffy shots. And I did learn a few new tricks, some I can adopt and others I can use to adjust my hunting techniques.

If you're not seeing birds however, perhaps instead of quitting, try getting more productive spots. I have hunted one property for the last seven years, and have only taken 2 gobblers (the same season to boot) in that time period. I love to hunt the property, because I have to call the birds to me, but I also realize that if I want to tag more birds, I hunt other/more productive parcels of land.

S&R
Old 04-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Strut&rut stated it well. If you are still having fun, keep going at it. If you are having action but just not finishing, then definitely stick to it. If you don't see any birds or have any action, maybe either find new places or something else to enjoy in the spring. Heck you may even say your money for a guided hunt.

I actually have similar thoughts regarding my own fox hunting. I am really bad at it. I have gotten one and call a few in every great once in a while. It does get frustrating going out not believing you have a prayer at connecting. I still have fun(sort of) so I am going to try and stick it out.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:03 PM

First of all, I commend you for hanging in as long as you have. When things aren't happening your way, it is very easy to get down on yourself and your abilities. Also, when you are new to this sport, there are a lot of situations that cause you to think, "what would be the best thing for me to do now?" I found in my first 2 years that I didn't know what I should do in many situations and ended up doing the wrong thing most times. I had read many books also about turkey behavior in general and also specifically on turkey hunting. I learned a lot from these books, but many of the authors suggested you get with a veteran hunter to pick their brain and hunt with them if you can to see how it's supposed to be done. I contacted my cousin in Pa. last year and accompanied him on a hunt up there and got to see how he was able to locate the birds and then get them to come in. I was also able to ask him a million questions and gave him different scenarios that I had found myself in, and he gave me some options to try when this happened again. The biggest thing I got out of going with him is confidence. I found out the way I was calling and the calls I was using work just fine. I actually called in a long beard for him that day, and he called one in for me. That does wonders for your confidence. I was able to get a little more agressive when I got back to Md. and didn't really worry about making a mistake like I had been before. Sounds to me that you just need to see some success and make sure what you are doing is the correct thing. I would try to find someone who could give you some pointers and maybe even take you out to show you how they call them in. Once you see it happening, you will feel better about what you are doing. Hang in there, I know it is tough, but it will happen!
Old 04-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Let me ask you this, Have you had any gobblers gobbling at your calling? Have you seen any maybe out of gun range strutting back and forth and putting on an awesome show? If you have did your HEART feel like it was going to bust out of your chest? If it did then you understand the true meaning of Turkey hunting. Life is too short to hang up the gun, and not do what appears that you enjoy. Pat

Quick Reply: Should I hang up my shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.