Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 thoughts on shooting jakes >

thoughts on shooting jakes

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

thoughts on shooting jakes

Old 04-20-2005, 02:40 PM

Default thoughts on shooting jakes

would like to know how you feel about taking jakes,and how long are jakes beards useally. thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: thoughts on shooting jakes

If they come in there dead. If I lived where there was a huge turkey population then id probably let them walk.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:00 PM

I took a Jake yesterday here in Ohio on second day of season. First turkey ever, so I'll take it. I hunt state land and it is hard to get anything at all, so I feel lucky with a Jake right now. Maybe later I'll become more selective. Beard was about 4-5 inches, spurs were just knubs, weighed 15 lbs.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:02 PM

I have,usually now I wait to get a boss. usually there beards are about 4 to 5".
I will take another.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

It all depends on where I'm hunting. I hunt both private land and public land. If a jake comes in and I'm hunting public land he is fair game, but if I'm hunting the private land that I have access to I usually wait for a long beard.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:14 PM

Up until this spring, I have always passed on jakes. However, I went to Kansas last week for their opener, and the guy who gets me access told me that they had had a turkey population explosion from the prior spring to this spring. I'd been there the spring before, so I knew he was telling me there'd be a lot of jakes, and probably few mature toms. Sure enough, first day, early morning, in struts a "big" jake and his little brother, so I whacked the bigger one. 5" beard, 17 lbs, 1/2" spurs, completed fan, no tall tailfeathers, and he strutted, but he was still only a year-old, but I whacked him because I firgured that since there was an explosion, using one of my two tags on him would not adversely effect the overall population, reproduction, or my personal ethic. I filled my second tag with a 10" bearded, 1" spurred gobbler, who only weighed 19 lbs, small for a 2 year old, but all right by me, especially the beard.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:15 PM

I shot a Jake Sunday so..
Old 04-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would be happy with any gobbler. the one gobbler that i've seen this year so far was a jake and i would be perfectly happy with it. i've been turkey hunting for 5 years now and i would be happy with anything at this point. not that i've given up hope.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 PM

'Let him go so he can grow'
Old 04-20-2005, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually hunt for longbeards, but dependent on the time I can commit to the woods and the area's turkey population, I'll still fill tags by harvesting jakes.

The only double-bearded bird (6 & 5 inches) I've tagged was a jake. Now some will argue that it would have been a double-bearded 2-year old gobbler the next year. However, turkeys are not like deer. Turkeys are much more susceptible to predation, and have a much greater dispersal rate. Hence, nobody may have ever seen that bird again...and besides, jakes taste great on the grill [8D]

Quick Reply: thoughts on shooting jakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.